Recording Waterfowl hunts

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Recording Waterfowl hunts

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Hey everyone I am looking to start recording Waterfowl hunts for a new DVD sponsored by a new page called Dakota boys on Facebook. I am wondering what kind of gear/equipment is needed as in what type of camera, lighting, stuff for sound etc. any advice is helpful thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Re: Recording Waterfowl hunts

Postby Bsanders89 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:48 am

Any DSLR will do! I recommend using a Canon T3i or a T4i because you can turn the screen around in different directions. The T4i is touch screen, but has a better ISO than the T3i which can come in handy with low lighting and fast birds. Whats great about these cameras is that you can attach a Rode boom mic to the shoe mount on top and get great audio of the guys talking. If you want to do interviews you can also look into a wireless lapel mic. For both of these they can plug directly into the camera and you can change the recording mic from the camera's mic, to an external mic that you have attached. I also recommend putting either a strong tripod in low wind conditions facing towards the blind with a short zoom lens so you can get video of the guys shooting outwards. When in the blind I recommend using a wide angle lens for you cameras so they can catch all the action. GoPro just added a new sportsman mount for shotguns that can face either the bird, or the hunter via the barrel. There is also a website that sells different mounts for GoPros, http://www.captureyourhunt.com/products, they even have harness mounts for the dogs. And for lighting get this light.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
It mounts to the shoe mount of you DSLR and stays out of the way and provides plenty of light and comes with different filters. Be sure to bring extra batteries for everything. Hope this helps
Bsanders89
hunter

Re: Recording Waterfowl hunts

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:09 am

Bsanders89 thanks sooo much! This is more than helpful and I appreciate it greatly! Thanks!!!
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum