Camera for a New guy

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Camera for a New guy

Postby brassass » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:44 am

been looking at several digital SLRs to start taking pictures for a hobby i want to start up. I want to keep it around 500 or so for a good camera and lens package. Do you guys have any suggestions, i have been looking at:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/19/cano ... dslr-ever/
found it with a lens and other stuff for about 550

also been looking at the nikon d40

I will we taking pictures of wild life mostly so something with a very fast shutter speed and image stabilization. Thanks for the help
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:58 am

I don't have personal experience with either, but from what I have read and heard from people I know, the d40 is a lot better camera.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:40 am

I am on my second DSLR camera and found out..yes the Sony is a real compeitor..I now use the Sony a200 backed up by a kit lens.. and old Minolta fast glass 3.5-4.5 28-85mm and a Tamron 70-210mm f3.5-4.5 macro zoom with two tamron telecconverter at 1.4x and 2x coupled with a powerfull flash. and some filters which totalled less than $100 including a lowepro bag

I like the Image stabilization in the camera body and the higher 3200 ISO feature along with the fact most of my lens are much older and faster Minolta mounts which I can purchase cheap.

The Canon Rebel is ok but has image stabilization in the lens which is not included and the optional $250 telephoto does not have Image stabilzation..by the time you load up with lens and equipment you are way up in price....Canon is behind the times..you pay more for less features and wind up with an ok pic

The Nikon D40 is old hat at 6 meapixels and the upper Nikon has a sensor made by Sony..Nikon however has excellent lens

If you want to shoot nature and cheap out check out the complete Olympus DSLR with the extra zoom lens with the 4/3 crop factor for about $500 or less all you have to do is buy an external flash later on and it has all the upgraded features like live view and an 2 to 0ne crop factor..the pics are ok..and it is almost like a point and shoot.
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby brassass » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:11 am

which olympus are you talking about? i have been looking around but haven't found one that sticks out. Thanks for you help very detailed post.
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm

The Olympus E510 is on sale for about $550 or less with 10 megapixels
in camera image stabilization running the 4/3 lens system with a crop factor of 2..has live view and comes with two lens in the package 14-22mm (28-44mm by film standsrd and a tele 40-150mm 80-300mm by film standards) all you need is a quality 1.4 teleconverter and a flash gun...having a reach of 300mm is the bare minimum for wildlife bird photography..but you can always
blow it up on the pc and crop it as it has 10megapixels to play with.
the ideal lens is some big white colored lens with a tripod mount with a focal length of 500mm..that is what the pros carry at football games but that costs money which is not on the budjet.

AS a starter I would use this camera to get the feel of wildlife photography and once you learn the ropes...then go up to the pro level meaning a different camera and mega bucks later..do not add extra money to this system as you may not be able to even if you have the big bucks later

My next camera may be the new Sony Release this spring at 24 megapixels and megabucks and new mess of lens and access...a dream that might come true.. to help in my job of taking phots of
luxury homes
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby brassass » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:05 am

alright thanks for the info. I will research that olympus.
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 am

The olympus is a good camera from what I have seen, Olympus has always had good SLRs, even pre-digital as in the OM cameras. That being said what made the OMs great and the e-volts good is the Zuiko lens. There's a handful to choose from, so while there is not the sheer volume of lenses available such as in the case of the Nikons or Canons.
The one opinion i differ on is to buy it as a first step. I've always believed the important part of a camera is not the body but rather the lens. If you're going to buy into a system, get good lenses, and skip the "kits" in most cases. Nikon has already shown how quickly they are progressing in body development - and as your skills progress new bodies will certainly become available.
There is this rush to adopt high megapixels. IMO, this only compensates for lack of investment in quality lenses. SUre, you can crop and modify pictures from a 10 MP camera, but if your lenses are good (adequate range for your subject and overall light transmission) and you work on composition of photos, cropping is rarely needed.

REM1100 makes some very good points - i just wouldnt recommend buying one camera to use for a couple years and then give up on that investment to go for a different body. PIck a system, stick with it and build your kit up. If thats Olympus, cool, Canon or NIkon is fine too. Shoot what you like.
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 pm

I have had many digital cameras and have always moved on and made changes.. I had an older Nikon 9500 with add on converter lens for three years and just sold it last year..it was a real sharp workhorse at 3.3 megapixels... 2001 model I also just recently had a top of the line super compact Sony dh-7 and it could do most things and beyond as a matter of fact it was on par with most DSLR cameras with the kit lens.
I am now on my second DSLR camera and there is always more upgrades comming onto the market in regards to sensor size and ultimate features..what I found is that you can only go so far in picture quality and sharpness with certain lens in comparision to the lens to budjet ratio.. Also the camera bodies lack certain features like super fast shutter speeds and higher ISO..I could have not fullfilled my dream to catch a pic of my son getting his Grad Degree if my Sony could not have an ISO setting of 3200 without too much noise. .. the medium fast f3.5-f4.5 lens and high distance flash gun also helped as the gym had three different types of horrible lighting. I just came back from holidays and took a night shot in the dark with a good flash and an unique twilight setting offered by this camera body..a simple click of the dial while I previuosly shot ten ipcs at diffferent manual settings only with some success. There is a certain grade of glass out there ie.. L or G glass at prices that would take a few paychecks to accomplish..I have fielld tested and bothered many camera salespeople and they have tried to sell me a full body with the top of the line lens..if you have ever seen the slight difference for the upgrade versus spending the extra money on the lens with a starter body..it just doesn't add up or make sense,, to stay with the starter.. camera and lens are an addiction..you strive for more and better..just puttting on high grade lens and point and shoot is not going to create a high quality pic..you need the right combo, but somewheres you will hit a wall where you can't do any better and a new product comes along at a much lower price as most prices are going down in comparison to early years ago as competition and market share is fierce... As time creeps up on us there is going to be an internation al sensor size and the result would be a full frame camera that is universal and any collection of old combos will be history. I mentioned the Olympus because it fit his budjet and if he wanted to upgrade it is really going to cost him as there are not many choices for 4/3 systems from Oly or the Generic makers like you would have with Sony or Canon or even Nikon.
AS a starter he can get the feel and hang of it by going to the park for the closeups but for the wild field you need some good glass that can sharply reach out to beyond 350mm focal length and that cost money beyond his budjet. but for wack them and stack them most camera s will do.

I am also still the guy that orders a Bud Light..I expect a Bud light and not a high power beer...I also buy the best my money can buy that day and am also a dreamer with my hand on equipment which I may or may not ever own some day. Same thing if somebody wants an opinion on carrlyites..I am not going to say to the fella get some full bodies..better off in the long stretch.

Just my two cents
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum