Duck Hunting Forum banner

Professional Videography for hunts

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Quack Pack 
#1 ·
I just bought a Canon Xa10 video camera and am ready to sit some hunts out every season for now on and get some videos of our hunts to one day look back on. I want to make professional grade videos and am slowly learning all of the functions of this complex camera. I really would like some tips from the more experienced guys on how to set up/ where to set up. What extra equipment you like. How to focus on ducks flying and follow them smoothly. Should I use a tripod in the marsh away from the blind and hide or use a stedicam and follow them? What film editing software do yall use and What are the challenges with lighting and focus and sound with winds and sunrises and such? Any information is helpful and I hope to share some truly great footage with yall over the next few years.

also here is an example of the type of videos and quality I am trying to replicate. awesome videos right here...

also I know some of these questions may have been answered so just copy and paste a link if thats the case, thanks.

#2 ·
http://www.campbellcameras.com/Campbell ... ategory=78

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=495362
I posted a reply last year out some info. Your camera is great cause you can add both a "shotgun mic", Rode is the company, and led light box for lighting that mounts to the shoe of the camera. Definitely get a camera skin from Campbell's cameras, I put link at the beginning. You can rent audio and video equipment from borrowlenses.com for a good price. Check out the GoPro 4 sessions. If you hunt out of a layou blind, try to get out of it and thrown some netting on you and your gear. You will get more mobility and better shots without spooking birds. Use a small tripod if available and use a stabilizer when following passing duck when zoomed in. Clip a wireless lapel mic to a buddy that is calling and you can plug that into your camera. I use adobe premiere for my video editing and its really easy to use. If you ever need help editing or more question shoot me a private message and I would be glad to help

#5 ·
Check out Cana Outdoors as well, they're another big "Professional" film crew that follow waterfowl hunters around.

I hate to break it to you, but to achieve that quality will most likely break your bank account. Those guys are running Reds cameras along with DSLR cameras with automatic focusing lenses.. etc I'd love to produce footage like that but I would have a heart attack bringing $40-50k worth of camera gear onto the water.

But the best bang for your buck would be a DSLR camera with a quality lens, a dedicated camera man and some GoPro Hero's that film in 4k. Those Canon G40's are slick as well but nothing can beat a DSLR's image depth.

Good luck and post your videos up here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.