camera shopping

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

camera shopping

Postby one ducky lady » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 pm

I see a lot of amazing pictures on here and i'm interested in investing in a decent camera to take pictures during duck season. I don't necessarily want a camera that the top photog's in America have because chances are i'm not going to be doing THAT much shooting. I am just interested in something with decent zoom and megapixels.

Recc's please

:help:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:38 pm

What you need is a super compact digital zoom camera.
Half of my pics posted were taken with one...Sony DSCH-7

There are about 4-5 to choose from 7-10 megapixels and a good clear zoom of 15x or better with a FAST lens and some good modes including continuous shooting modes with image stabilization and good manual setting capablities like saturation, contrast, sharpness and a super high ISO over 1600

I used a Sony DSC H-7 just recently and you could make it sing and dance with the DSLRs with the kit lens.

Other models to mention:
Fuji S100FS
Sony DSCH-50
Nikon Coolpix P80
PanasonicDMCFZ18
OLympus SP5504Z

These are going to cost you $350-$50 US

Some how Canon does not want to make a high zoom and for their prices you can get something better..The world has caught up to Canon and has passed it on quality and price

Any of these models you should be able to dial in several custom modes for outdoor waterfowl shooting to your advantage.

Just try to remember to forget about the point and shoot Auto E moade as you will have to go to the software to massage the pic and not be happy because all makers make tha mode in a color lacking soft pics which are not tack sharp

Forget about the DSLR as you may not have the time to learn and setup and switch lens when the action starts as these may weigh as much as your gun
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:20 pm

i bought a fujifilm s700 (7.1 megapixels) for 170 on ebay, it's got 10x zoom. s1000 has 10 megapixels.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:05 pm

I on purpose left out the 10-12x series of cameras as for in serious birding circles anything as close to a focal length of 500mm will be sized in proportion to good definition as a start off point..you wonder why guys at birding and outdoor football games are mounting huge white lens on their DSLRs.

The super compacts of 2008 are approaching the 20x realm soon and last years models of 10-12x will se soon archived and at lower prices
Most shots of actual wildfowl ( not park wildfowl) will be 20 yds to 100 yds away and to see them clearly from the size of a sparrow one would have to take a photo massaging program and have enough pixels to have a clear pic after one has CROPPED and RESIZED the pic which may result in loss of backround and quality definition if you are using a 10-12x which is the equivalent of 325-400mm..Of course 6-12 megapixels may help
Of course that range of cameras will fall into a different class and price range...$150-$300
If you are just doing wackem/stackem..then most point and shoot 3-4x can get the job done.
The super compact cameras offfer more features than the DSLRs and could be very handy if these features and programs were put to use with experimenting and practice..practice
So far many DSLRs cannot take movies with audio
Like I said visit the camera store and try out the cameras ( most big outlets will give you a 14 day tryout money back -trade).
I did not mention anything about wide angle as it is another topic
Like idaho says the upper fuji has a higher zoomm with 10 megapixels and can sing and dance and has many of the features of his 7 megapixels at an affordable price

Checking out the zoom as you go up watch out for purple fringing and a tendency for a softer smooth pic..also look out for focus time as some the lower quality cameras will be searching and trying to focus at the longer focal length also a camera with a dual viewfinder and live monitor view will get you on the target more precise and quicker
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:58 pm

here's what you can expect from the fujifilm S700, i took these today while building my blind.

this one had the sun just above the picture, explaining the washout of the sky.

Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:14 pm

Nice Blind ..my pond and blind next month is very similiar except ..no dog
Your camera has a tendency to shoot soft and light
f stop at 3.5 is Ok and on standard setting at wide angle setting.
However the camera has a tendeancy of +.67 EV overexposure ..check your histogram as it will spike to the right.

Go to program mode and menu dial in max saturation and max sharpness and dial the exposure back to zero for a start of balance..You want the histogram to spike in the middle..also run a white balance comparison.
Or simply set it to landscape mode and it should improve the pics giving it a little more contrast
Also you might want to try the APerture Prioity mode and set it on centre focus on the dog and he will stand out with background a little blurred

Not everything is point and shoot on AE..experiment and practice so you can make the camera obey better than the dog
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:03 am

thanks, i haven't figured out the AE settings yet, i need to read up on that.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum