info for movement shots

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

info for movement shots

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 pm

hey all, i'm looking for info on f stop and ISO settings for high speed movement shots (birds in flight) i haven't been able to get a good picture using manual settings, they are too dark or too slow and blur all to hell. can someone help me figure out how to get a proper setting?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby gp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 pm

That's a pretty tall order for a message board. I'll give it a whirl.

I am assuming a low light situation here, as you stated.

1). Determine the slowest shutter speed that removes the blur. The anwser should be pretty constant. Probably around 1/250, set your shutter speed there.

2). Adjust your f stop accordingly. It will probably be wide open or at the smallest number f2.8 for my lens.

3). Adjust your ISO setting until you get the picture. You want to start at the lower ISO settings and work your way up. Lower settings give you better pictures.

All that being said, I'm sure there's guys around here with a better approach.

Good luck
gp
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm

There is no definite answer without practice and adjusting some of these guidelines

-you need a fast shutter speed mostly greater than 1/500

-you may have to bump up the ISO according to outdoor lighting conditions...around ISO 400 would be a good average but even a ISO on a well lit day will also work...higher ISO will give some noise

-You must have a fairly fast lens ie f 2.8 or f4 some zoom lens f4.5 to f6.3 may be slow in telephoto and may be still twising and turning hunting the object

-when you shoot you must track and pan the camera and set it on centre focus and hold down the button and have it set in burst or continuous shoot mode and follow thru just like goose hunting

-you should set the aperture lens number as low as possible

-you could take the easy way out and set it on SPORTS MODE and get a shot like this..however this shot is just OK but could also been done on program or aperture priority mode set semi-auto-manually with the proper shutter speed, fstop ISO and some color vividness and correct exposure and more contrast would have given me a slightly better sharper pic

-You don't really need image stabilizastion if you follow the above steps and still get a OK pic..IS does help a bit in regards to camera shake but if you can track and pan smoothly with a fast llens things should turn out.

-if you have IS then swith it on by all means

Here is a just barely OK pic set one Action sports mode on a bright day by looking at it's properties ..tells me I could have done better on a program mode.

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:54 pm

how can you tell the picture properties?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:58 pm

for some reason my f stop stops at 3.5, it won't go any smaller than that.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby gp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:54 pm

In windows explorer, right-click the file and select Properties, then select the Summary tab. Click the Advanded button.

Most photo editing programs have info for the images.

Your f stop is a function of the camera or lens. More money lower f stop number.
gp
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Please explain what type of a camera and set-up and lens info you are using.

F3.5 is a medium speed lens and is usually the fastest setting on many kit or statndard mini zoom lens....ie some lenses are f3.-f5.6 17-70mm which equates to a shorter focal length..the smallest seting on the viewfinder
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 pm

the camera is a fuji finepix s700, not a basic point and shoot. the lense says 63 mm f=6.3 1:3.5-3.7

i have no idea what that means to me.

i know that i can adjust the f stop, apature and shutter speed, and the iso.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:53 pm

The Fuji s700 has 10x 7 megapixels and image stabilization and a double shot capabilty and an antiblur feature and the lens has enough speed for most shots and it falls into the super compact group and has some good modes to choose from like sports mode and aperture priority and some good controls such as sharpness control and aperture setting and shutter speed.. and low light AF it should be able to get action shots with the high 1600 ISO capabilities
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Spiraleyes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Montanafowler wrote:the camera is a fuji finepix s700, not a basic point and shoot. the lense says 63 mm f=6.3 1:3.5-3.7

i have no idea what that means to me.

i know that i can adjust the f stop, apature and shutter speed, and the iso.

1:3.5 means that is the fastest that your lens will go (it won't go lower than 3.5).

Short of using a DSLR camera, you will have a very hard time getting clear and focused shots of moving things. Point and shoot cameras simply aren't designed for that type of use. There is just too much delay in the camera for the quick shots required for fast moving objects.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum