Need Help...

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Need Help...

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:48 am

So I've posted this in the Honey Hole as well, but I'm sure there are people that only check this forum and no others. Long story short, my camera decided it was thirsty while we were bowfishing yesterday and went in for some water. It turns on but says "Lens Error Restart Camera." It's in the hot truck with everything open right now to help it dry out. Is there anything else to do, or will it be a turn it on later and pray kinda deal? I assume the later. Anywho, I'd say it's time to start recommending some waterproof cameras for a decent price that take good pictures and videos. 8 Megapixels is what the last one was and I was happy with it. Thanks in advance.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Need Help...

Postby bones498 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Try silica gel... Those little packets that say DO NOT EAT that come in shoe boxes. I've also heard that rice can act to absorb moisture as well, so perhaps a bag of rice nearby (opened at a different location to get rid of any dust) might help.
I would take the battery, memory card and anything else that can be removed and dry it with a towel.
Also I would not leave your camera in the car for to long, excessive heat can cause damage too.

Good Luck

RYAN
bones498
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:18 am

Looks like you are in one big heap of difficulty.
first thing you do is to take the battery and memory card out put the camera battery card side down to drain and like the guy said get some silica gel out and put it in a plasctic bag but not fully closed and let the thing dry out.
Once it is dry charge up the battery. and go and buy some 95% methanol alcohol and wipe off any crude outside and use some lens cleaner on the lens.
Next buy a can of compressed air the type they use for cameras and electronics and give it some short bursts in accessible areas.
put your memory card in a card reader/computer to see it it has been corrupted/damaged...pray alot or have a camera guy check it out and weigh the cost of salvage/repair or move up to a DSLR
If it boots up chances are the mirror and sensor filters are stained and the pic quality could be poor.
If you have an DSLR there is hope as you can clean the mirror and area and perhaps swab off the filter and maybe if the sensor is not damaged...things might work again.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for the help guys. First thing I did when it came out of the water was yanked the batteries. I left it in the hot truck the past couple days and this morning it worked. I took it out again this evening and got a couple more bowfishing clips. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum