Shutter Wing Speed

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Shutter Wing Speed

Postby missmary49 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:04 pm

What do I need to do to get a clear photo of a bird in flight? a clear image of the wings like it posed, no blurs.
Attachments
Goose_flying.gif
Goose_flying.gif (5.28 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Why is a Candybar tainted with Goose Blood from your hands that much more Enjoyable to eat?
missmary49
Huntress

Re: Shutter Wing Speed

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Many pepole suggest 1/500 sec as a minnimun for most shots. I have gotten good ones as low as 1/200 and 1/250 sec shutter speeds.

What kind of birds are you looking at for pics of?
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby bones498 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:52 am

I have had luck with shutter speeds as low as 1/200th, but the faster the better. But most of the shots would still have some wing blur unless I caught the wing that split second when it reached all the way up/down.

I would say a safe starting point would be 1/500th or above.

Ryan Brennecke
http://www.ryanbrennecke.com
bones498
hunter

Postby missmary49 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Im mainly interested in waterfowl. to be honest, i like to find the perfect photos to paint, i enjoy a good angle of photography, but i mainly collect pictures so i have good images to paint. i really like artwork that looks real, where the background is blurry and the image you are focused on is crystal clear. not so much a painting where all distances are clear. i really like contrasts, something to make the image really pop, probly because im not that good, just o.k. abd can use the help of shadows :yes:
how expensive of a camera do you need? or are these photo setting avail on most cameras, just in the special settings somewhere.?
Why is a Candybar tainted with Goose Blood from your hands that much more Enjoyable to eat?
missmary49
Huntress

Postby missmary49 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:07 pm

OH. um mainly waterfowl; ducks, geese.. huntable wing speeds :wink:
missmary49
Huntress

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

With my limited experience I have gotten the best bokeh (back ground blur) with slr's. I have taken and got some good bokeh out of point and shoots but most of them are limited to what the programmers have set the camera's settings at. With a slr you have complete control over the settings. Everything from Fstop, shutter speeds, WB, EV, ISO, etc. As far as price any of the entry level cameras will and do take great pics. The nikon d40 and the cannon rebel series seem to be the most popular. These bodies new are around the $500 mark. To really get good IQ (image quality) involves good glass. This is where all the money is with slr's. Its a great hobby and if you want to get the kind of pics you are describing I would suggest looking into a slr. I do have to warn you though It gets expensive really fast. In the last 5 months between a body and glass I have spent around 3 grand and I am now looking at a 600mm prime that will run around 6 grand :crying: but with my love of birds and my kids almost ready to start sports it is worth it :smile:

This is not the best pic. I took it when I just learning a new big piece of glass and had crappy light, but it is a good example of bokeh.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby missmary49 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:13 am

why is he flying away? didnt you wave around enough bread?? he he

thanks for the info. i know photography gear can get out of hand, theres no way is be able to spend that much, but i will focus on the glass next time. see what other options i can come up with. thanks
missmary49
Huntress

Postby REM1100 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 pm

The top of the line super compacts with the tiny lens can do almost anything to some extent and are in fact can be as good as an Entry level DSLR with the great 20x zoom capabilitis and some semi-manual controls and different point and shoot modes.
On the other hand I get by with a mid entry Sony a200 and a collection of old Minolta lensthat can get the job done using my
practice knowledge.
In regards to catching birds in stop action..there is a rule of thumb to at least match or surpass the reciprical of the max focal length..ie you are using a 300mm lens and it has been crop factored by 1.5x to be a true 450mm setting..therefore the closest setting would be at least 1/500 shutter speed..you could shoot the flyer using aperture prioity at say f8 (the sweet spot) and the iso set at maybe 400 to enable a faster speed and also have the metering and focus set on spot metering so the subject will be clear and the background blurred and smooth. All this is posible with enough lighting if you have a slow lens like3 f4.5-5.6.
Also you could put the camera on continuous shoot and set it at shutter prioity and set the shutter speed say try it at 1/500, 1/100 and set the iso 400-800 to get a true stop action as at least one of the pics will come out.
Below is a variety of pics taken ith different cameras and lens.
If a person was shooting birds close like hunting and with the right lighting conditions, you can get some decent shots with som decent equipment, having the art of composition is the fun part of shoting wild wterfowl.

Shot this from the hip on continuous shooting using a 300mm slow lens with low light. some blurring...lucky shot

shot from moving boat at quarter mile with medium fast lens program mode automatically set shutter speed

This was from a point and shoot super compact set on program mode..same shot would be also had on simple action mode without any complicated settings and a burst mode also

setting was on AE point and shoot auto and the shutter speed as too slow...blurred wings
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby missmary49 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:37 pm

wow interesting! too bad i kinda have no ide half the stuff youre saying.. i dont know much about cameras really
missmary49
Huntress

Postby REM1100 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:13 am

Sorry I mentioned too much jargon.
Simply just go out and buy a super compact with a telezoom out to 15-20x and it has all the dials and modes to turn the knob to and point and shoot with favourable results..after practice then you can play with the features and get some terrific results.
A super compact camera looks like a mini version of a DSLR but has the zoom lens built in with 8-10 megapixels and can do just as many functions or more than the bad boy. ..no heavy lens to switch on and a big bag to carry access. Be prepared to pay anywheres from $300-$400..ie Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus..Stay away from the touch screen models.
You might want to look at Sony with 20x or the new Pentax X70 which can do everything almost
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum