Digital Cameras

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

Digital Cameras

Postby sbretting60 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:40 am

I am in the market for a new digital camera. I am looking for something that I can fit in my jacket or shirt pocket without being too bulky. I would mostly be using it to take fish pictures and pictures when I am outdoors. I was thinking about the waterproof olympus cameras. They are supposed to be shock proof and freeze proof too. Has anyone used these? What do you recomend? It doesn't have to be an olympus, just a descent camera that isn't real expensive.

Thanks,
Shawn
sbretting60
hunter

Re: Digital Cameras

Postby bones498 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Shawn, I have the Olympus Stylus 725sw that I got from Costco (for under $200) a few years back. It is a great camera to have in your fishing vest/bag or jacket pocket. The file quality is good plus it waterproof (15 feet) and shock proof (5 feet or less) for those tough days in the field.
I have recomend this camera to several friends and all of them have loved the camera.

Ryan

http://www.ryanbrennecke.com
bones498
hunter

Postby phishbum » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:29 am

I have a Pentax Optio WP that is a relatively small, waterproof camera. It takes decent pictures and has survived plenty of falls, including into the drink. Plus, it takes cool underwater photos.

My only major problem with it is that "orbs" show up almost any time the flash is used. I've contacted Pentax about this and they suggested I send the camera in for repair. I have yet to do that, so I'm not sure how expensive it'll be to fix.

Good luck.
phishbum
hunter

Postby sbretting60 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:34 am

So I went to pick up the Olympus camera and they were out of stock. I started looking around and I found a Cannon SX110IS that caught my eye. It is a little cheaper than the Olympus but the salesman told me it would take better pictures. It is a little bigger than I wanted but it has a 10x optical zoom so I'm okay with the size. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? I also wouldn't have to buy a memory card since I have an 8gb sd from my old samsung. It takes AA's so they are easy to find but they wont last as long and it will take longer for the flash to recycle but that I the only drawback that I see so far.
sbretting60
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum