Duck Hunting Forum banner

Land Nav ?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dyllan 
#1 ·
Here is my dilemma. I'm trying to locate a duck hole that I can see from a satalite imagery site. Inoder to get there, I have to follow a small river for about 3/4 of a mile.

I can see the deer stand clearly on the website and from the highway. After having navigated through the river and coming to the deer stand, I would then need to travel in a southernly direction through 250 yds of cattails. The website automatically orients the picture according to earths magnetic poles. On my printed off map, I drew a line from the deer stand to the middle of the duck hole and took a measurement of the degree of travel.

When I get there, I face North, align myself with the deer stand so that it sits at 2.5 degrees from my location, then I have placed myself in correct direction of travel. I would then turn around and try to pick out any structure that is in the direction of 182.5 degrees and proceed until I find the duck hole.

Is this a sound theory?

And no...........just get a GPS replies.

#2 ·
USE LARS: you have to take into acct the adjustment for true north (maps)in relationship to mag north as stated on your map.(declination diagram) for instance it's 14 degrees when I am in California so I have to adjust my azimuth on the map to acct for the difference..don't plot without the conversion...you can be way off...And I have yet to see any map printed in magnetic north. :huh:

#3 ·
I agree with towgunner...sounds like you have a good plan, without the GPS of course. That declination diagram will put you closer, because if you don't use it, you will be way off, especially if where you are the difference from MAG to Grid is 14 degrees, like towgunner said. Check the declination diagram at the bottom of the map and get your egrees as close as you can so you won't get lost or waste time wandering around in the woods for hours! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
tarheel yankee said:
Good point there USMC03....those waders and the mud are just like walking through snow or sand and trying to keep pace.
It help me tons last year deer hunting. I went with my buddy and his family to a new spot. The day before opener they walked me through the woods and showed me the stands and before I left the trail I remembered a distinct feature, shot an azmuth with my compass and counted my steps to the foot of the stand. 2 days later at zero dark thirty I did everything right but couldnt find the stand. I took a seat on the ground waited for some ambient light, and there it was 5 feet to my left.

#8 ·
GIjake said:
Well its been a few months so did you find it or do we need to send a search party? :huh:

My thought is that the imagery is a few years old and it is grown in now.
Search party and K9's are deploied.... :fingerhead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.