Questions about Duty Stations

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Questions about Duty Stations

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:18 pm

So my wife is a veterinarian in the Army and we are looking at future duty stations.

My question is how are the following places:

Ykosuka Japan

Gitmo

Misawa Japan

And then I think there are a couple of options in Korea

These are the non-deploy able accompanied duty stations she gets to choose from. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, such as weather, cost of living, activities, etc.

Thanks

Will
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Re: Questions about Duty Stations

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:12 am

GroundSwatter wrote:So my wife is a veterinarian in the Army and we are looking at future duty stations.

Ykosuka Japan

Gitmo

Misawa Japan

These are the non-deploy able accompanied duty stations she gets to choose from. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, such as weather, cost of living, activities, etc.

Thanks

Will

Those are her only 3 options? Ouch! Never been to Misawa, and I was not at Gitmo long, but Yokuska is o'kay. Not for me really, but I had a friend that loved it so much he went back again for another 4 years.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:40 am

Those are the only accompanied assignments. The other options were in Europe, however she was more or less told that she wasn't going to get one of those.

There are at least a dozen other deployable units she could request, but she doesn't want to go anywhere she can't drag me or the dogs to, like Iraq.

I guess my question about GITMO is how easy is it to get in and out of there. What is there to do there?

My concerns about Japan are the same, but also what is the cost of living like there. It seems that it would be really expensive.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:So my wife is a veterinarian in the Army and we are looking at future duty stations.

Ykosuka Japan

Gitmo

Misawa Japan

Thanks

Will

Man those sound like one thing to me.....................no waterfowling :fingerhead: Gitmo is ok.....one thing for sure Gitmo is easier to get back to swat some birds :thumbsup:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:14 pm

QUACK3XS wrote:

Ykosuka Japan

Gitmo

Misawa Japan

Thanks

Will

Man those sound like one thing to me.....................no waterfowling :fingerhead: Gitmo is ok.....one thing for sure Gitmo is easier to get back to swat some birds :thumbsup:

How hard is it to get on and off Gitmo?
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:46 am

I don't want to give bad info..............anyone know the answer to that question
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:02 pm

GS,
What is her rank? the way I understand it, the Ft Hood Vet clinic is ALWAYS in need of military personnel all she would have to do is call and ask. A friend of mine was the NCOIC there for a while, and he was non-deployable. need any more help, PM me!
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby marshstalker83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 pm

As an Infantryman leaving on my third deployment this week I can't say I show much respect for someone hunting for non-deployable status duty stations. Is there a reason for this? I mean a vet is gonna be on a large nice base most likely anyway and not leave the wire much. :huh:
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period. -Ted Nugent
marshstalker83
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:52 pm

marshstalker83 wrote:As an Infantryman leaving on my third deployment this week I can't say I show much respect for someone hunting for non-deployable status duty stations. Is there a reason for this? I mean a vet is gonna be on a large nice base most likely anyway and not leave the wire much. :huh:

Mostly b/c she doesn't want to leave me for a year. Hard to believe I know. I would also prefer to not have my wife overseas for a year as well. If they give her orders to do it, then that's fine, but if you have a choice not to, then why do it, especially since she only has a year left on her contract. Most likely the non-deployable unit will be overseas somewhere, just not Iraq or Afghanistan. Some place where I can go with her.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby marshstalker83 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 pm

I am married with two children the youngest is 2 I was gone for the first year of her life and I am leaving tomorrow for another year not something I want to do but something will do. I don't ever wanna leave my family but I know it is something I signed a contract to do. I dont think enought people realize that when they sign up. All they see are the benefits and when it comes time to do something hard then you hear " I didn't sign up for this" but they did. Well good luck anyway
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period. -Ted Nugent
marshstalker83
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Do I need to lock this? You both have valid points......moving on :beer:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby seabee67 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:20 pm

I would avoid Gitmo like the plague, But it was almost 20 yrs ago when I was there.The fishing and diving are nice,not sure about travel as we were deployed there and could not leave.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good
seabee67
hunter

Postby bamagrad1992 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:07 am

I am currently stationed at Osan AB in Korea. This is not a bad assignment at all -- except for the lack of duck hunting...
Git em in the deeks, keep em in the deeks...
bamagrad1992
hunter

Return to Military Forum