what to do

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

what to do

Postby keith96 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Im thinking about joining the military but i dont know what i want to do should i join the ARMY,the NAVY,Marines,or National Guard. And i dont know what i want my MOS to be an any of you give me advice about what i should do.Whats easy whats hard and whats the best MOS.
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Re: what to do

Postby Jred » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Well...to answer that question you need to answer these questions for us...

1. Do you want to be on land or at sea?
2. Do you mind being a basic infantryman/foot soldier?
3. Do you want to be involved with aviation or not?
4. Do you want to be involved with advanced electronics?

The question you really need to answer is are you willing to leave your family for 6-12 months at a time to ensure that the great country we live in is safe?

The only advice I can really give to you is be prepared to work hard and work long hours no matter what branch of the service you join. I have been in the Navy for 17 years and have loved every minute of it, but I do it now for significantly different reasons than when I joined the Navy. Let us know the answers to those questions and I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Have you been to the recruiting offices yet?

Good luck.
The function of the Navy is to take the fight to the enemy so that it will not be fought on our soil.

-FADM Chester Nimitz
Jred
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 pm

What not even thinking about the Air Force? Anyhow sounds like you just need to talk to some recruiters and see what they have to offer. Picking a job should be the easiest decision. Find something you would love to do on the inside as you would on the outside, just now you'll have better benefits. I do suggest picking something that you can use on the outside if you find your not happy and want out so you'll have something to fall back on.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby keith96 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:39 am

I want to be on the land no advanced electronics i want to be a standerd infentry man but what do i inlist in national guard army or what is the best.
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby GIjake » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:12 am

If you want to be infantry go Army. The Army offers more in the way of schools like Airborne, Air Assualt and Ranger. I was enlisted as a armor crewmember on Abrams tanks for the past six years and loved it. I fly Apaches now all thanks to the Army and giving soldiers every chance to improve their lives.

But what everyone else has said is true, you will spend time, lots of time, away from your family. You will work harder and longer than you ever thought you would and you will get treated worse than you ever thought you would. I loved the life on the ground. I deployed with the 82nd Airborne and spent 15 months kicking in doors with them. It was great. But there is a awesome feeling rolling through the worst streets in the world feeling invincible inside your tank.

A wise old NCO once told me, "if you arent getting everything out of the Army the Army is getting everything out of you..."
GIjake
hunter

Postby keith96 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:58 pm

thanks ill look into the army
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby USMC duck hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:27 pm

do what you want but if you want to be the best you would join the CORPS all the services are good in their own way but why spend a year overseas and miss your family we do 7 months and if you want some hard to swallow answers i hate to say it but look at the numbers of infantry men who have died and look at what service they were a part of. i did 7 months in iraq in 05 we lost 3 great men but the army unit that was with us had to call in there reservists because they lost half a company i'm sorry to say it but a kid right out of boot camp doesn't learn enough in the army or national guard to keep himself alive.

This isn't meant to offend anyone i'm just telling him my opinion
USMC duck hunter
hunter

Return to Military Forum