Removing your cover

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Removing your cover

Postby looney4labs » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:05 pm

So yesterday myself and another contracting buddy grabbed some midnight chow before work in Iraq. When we entered the chow hall he asked me if I knew why we take off our hats when we enter. I thought about it for a second thinking I knew the answer...but then it dawned on me. After all these years of taking of my hat before entering a building and even doing the same while I am a contractor...I don't know why we do it. I had my ideas why but I feel as though I should have known an answer. So my buddy told me why we do it...at least he thinks it's why we do it. Before I tell you what he said I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about this topic.
looney4labs
hunter

Re: Removing your cover

Postby k9horseluvr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 pm

On the ships...mess decks were used as Battle Medical Stations. It is a sign of respect for those that gave their lives.

K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Re: Removing your cover

Postby looney4labs » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:41 am

Basically that's the same as what I was told...would have been my first guess also if I had to take one. Just seemed odd to me though considering I was never directly told that is the reason it is done. Even during boot camp and other training I don't recall it ever being talked about. Maybe I should have asked the instructor during boot camp why we did it :biggrin: . I'm sure that would have turned out great :yes: :mad: .
looney4labs
hunter

Return to Military Forum