coast guard advice

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

coast guard advice

Postby FlaDuckbuster19 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for 19 year old thinking about going in to the coast guard. Any advice you guys could give me i'ed appriate it . thank you
FlaDuckbuster19
hunter

Re: coast guard advice

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm not in the coast guard, but i have a few buddies that are. Biggest downfall i see with them is advancement...it is slow. I was an E-6 in the Navy in 7 years...my buddy was 6 years in the coast guard and still an E-4, smart hard working bastard too. Other than that...not much advice i can offer.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby JinAK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am

On the contrary. Im coming up on 10 years and am looking at E-7 in the next year(made E-6 in 6). And I seem to be on the same track of advancement as most of my buddies i still know from when i first got in. Ive always heard from Navy guys the exact opposite from your opinion. Makin Chief in 10-12 years in the Navy ive heard is a pretty incredible feat. But like you said its all about how hard you push. Nothing personnal against your buddy. But you either have had to screw up pretty good or not be aa hard a charger as you think he is if he is still an E-4 with 6 years.

Anyway FlaDuck....Every service offers something different. The CG is a small service (40k tops) so depending on what rate you go you can get alot of responsiblity really fast. I was in for about 2 years as an E-4 and already had my Coxswain (boat driver) qualification and iwas intrusted to operate some really sweet boats and responsible for a 3-4 man crew running SAR cases in Alaska. Not bad for a 20 year old that two years prior was sitting in a community college class wondering what the crap he was gonna do with his life.

On the down side the CG is really hard to get into these days. Last I heard it was almost a 6 month to a year wait to get to boot camp. So get on it. If you have any questions about th CG feel free to contact me.
JinAK
hunter

Postby DUCoastie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:I'm not in the coast guard, but i have a few buddies that are. Biggest downfall i see with them is advancement...it is slow. I was an E-6 in the Navy in 7 years...my buddy was 6 years in the coast guard and still an E-4, smart hard working bastard too. Other than that...not much advice i can offer.

I made E-5 in 3...

And to the original poster I would suggest that you go to the recruiter in person the first time and make sure you show him how much you want to be in. Times are tough all around and the Coast Guard is limiting the numbers we take in at the moment. So you need to impress him and make that person know you want it more than anyone else and you'll be a better asset to the CG.

Also I wouldn't pick a rate right then and there. Sometimes recruiters try to sell a rate that is need of people like FS (cook) or OS (radio man) I would def go in and be a non rate. It allows you to see all the rates and pick one you would like to do for 20+ years and it teaches you a little humility when you start from the bottom.
DUCoastie
hunter

Postby FlaDuckbuster19 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm

thanks for the reply. i cant think of anything at the moment ied like to ask, but when i do ill be sure to send you a pm if u dont mined.
FlaDuckbuster19
hunter

Postby FlaDuckbuster19 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:02 pm

i was wondering about advancement and rate how they increase as the years you have in . it sounds dumb put i havent talked to a recruiter yet and i know nothing about it.i was planing to go to a recruiting office some time this week.
FlaDuckbuster19
hunter

Postby JinAK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:07 pm

pm sent
JinAK
hunter

Postby Itflysitdys » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:34 am

Hey i am active duty right now in DC. I have been in for a little over five years and would have made E-6 at my 4 1/2 year mark if it wasnt for me getting into some trouble. I also did the non-rate thing first so that i could see what i really wanted to do. If you are looking to advance fast and make more money than you need to look into rates that are critical. BM, MK, EM.......Etc. those rates have the majority of the CG in it. I was an OS and then Lateraled over to IS. I could have made E-6 earlier but with the lateral it took away from my chances of advancing. You also have to look at the big picture. If you plan on getting out after a few years then you should look into a job that can make you the most money when you do get out. If you plan on staying in, then look for the job that you will enjoy the most considering you will be doing in for a mojority of your life. I on the other hand am planning on getting out just becuase with my training and clearance i can make double on the outside than what i do right now as an enlisted person. If you have any question or want to talk to me personally feel free to call. I wont bull crap you and i will point you in the right direction. I am only 24 so its not like you will be talking to someone twice your age.
Itflysitdys
hunter

Postby FlaDuckbuster19 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:03 am

hey thanks for the replys . I finally got in touch with my local recruiter after a week of phone tag. He wouldnt even schedule me an appiontment . He told me it would be a year to a year and a half before i could go to boot camp . So it looks like im going in the army . Im going to finish my enlistment paper work monday . thanks for all the info guys .
FlaDuckbuster19
hunter

Return to Military Forum