help with joining...

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

help with joining...

Postby NJDUCKER86 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:51 pm

hello all,
i am currently a 24 year old male who is TRYING to get in the coast guard. i have been calling since spring and have yet to be able to get anything more than a 30sec phone call. when i called in the spring they told me they werent taking anyone until october, and when i called in september they told me to try again in january!!! they are extremely unhelpful and wont give me the time of day. ive heard its not good to just show up to a recruitment office only called. but i am worried i am just getting the runaround and should be talking to someone else. their cutoff is 27years old and i am scared im not gonna make it. I really would like to sit down and talk with a recruiter and discuss plans and get me testing/ get the ball rolling.... i have an associates degree and a clean record so getting in wont be a problem i just need assistance!
NJDUCKER86
hunter

Re: help with joining...

Postby lumpy2181 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

I will answer your questions with one of my own; why the Coast Guard? Not bashing my fellow service members but from the sounds of it, they are full. If you want to join the military, look into the other branches. If you want to be on a boat, call the US Navy recruiter. If you wanna shoot guns and drive tanks, call the Army. You get where I am going with this. Just off of first impression from your post, it seems like you want the military life (benefits) without living the military life (deployments OCONUS); is this accurate? I have been in the USMC for the last 7+ yrs and can answer most questions you may have about the Corps if you would like. I know there are quite a few Navy and Air Force guys on here too. Haven't seen that many Army but some Coasties are here as well. Good luck in your endevor to join. We always can use more hunters in the service.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby JinAK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 am

Definitley just go in to the office man. Show them that you are serious. Expect a waiting list though. Last I heard it was six months to a year, so you can understand why the recruiters arent itching to return your calls. We are a tiny service. 40k tops, and they are even going through a selective forced retirement thing right now. They havent booted anyone yet but are evaluating all the guys that have been in around 20 and have failed to advance or chose not to. Ive been in for 10 years and love it. Small units and some of he best sations on the coasts and midwest for that matter.I def like the small unit part. I grew up in an Army family and personally hate the HUGE bases and towns crawling with military. Every service offers something different so weigh your options. I will offer this the Navy and CG are two totally different animals. Not comparable at all in my opinon. I could go on....so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
JinAK
hunter

Postby DUCoastie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 am

I agree with the above post, I would just walk into the office. We aren't taking a lot of people right now so you need to show a recruiter that you're above the cut and want in more then anyone else. I joined 5 years ago and it was hard to get in then. Keep trying and I promise you won't regret your choice in the Coast Guard.
DUCoastie
hunter

Return to Military Forum