base hunting

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

base hunting

Postby untamed1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first trip to the military forum on duck hunting chat. I mainly hunt waterfowl and was wondering if any of you could tell about any waterfowl hunting available on any base in central/northern california. I am a member of the Nevada Army National Guard and am looking to move outside of the state to change the scenery on my duck hunting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

SSG Tim Brady
Tim Brady
untamed1
hunter

Re: base hunting

Postby Ginzu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:12 am

SSG,
Vandenberg AFB and Port Hueneme NAVSTA. both may be a little further south than you want, but they are worth visiting. Van has a great all round program. Port has tremendous waterfowl hunting. Another option is Edwards AFB, you can hunt the holding ponds on the Southeast corner of the base. You could give MWTC Bridgeport a shot as well, however, they are very hit or miss and do not hold allot of birds.

Good luck,
Ginzu
Col USMC
Colonel, USMC
CH-53E pilot
Ginzu
hunter

Postby untamed1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Thank you sir, it's much appreciated.
Tim Brady
untamed1
hunter

Postby GRat86 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 pm

I've hunted Edwards AFB for the last two consecutive seasons. We have some good hunting and a lot of fun. It's typically blind hunting, but jump shooting is allowed. There is a drawing every August for the following season's blinds. Military has first crack at blinds in the drawing. The hunting is pretty good. My partner and I have shot 80 plus ducks this season so its worth the drive and time.

Rat
2010-2011 Season Totals

Mallards- 19
Teal- 28
Widgeon-12
Shoveler-15
Pintail-7
Bufflehead-1
Canvasback-1
Ringneck-1
Ruddy-1
GRat86
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:05 am

Just spent 18 days up at Bridgeport, epic fishing, although I didn't see a ton of ducks. The COL. is correct on that gouge, I saw nauseating amounts of divers at Hueneme & Edwards is pretty legit.

If you're down in Central Cal during season PM me, I will be hitting the refuges pretty hard.

I observed ducks & some geese in the potholes around Bridgeport, saw some nice deer. We were OPFOR during the Javelin Thrust evolution and we had a Mountain Lion lurking our notional Mujjahedin camp in the backwoods. Even just for fishing or whatever, I highly recommend checking out Bridgeport if you haven't been, excellent country out there.

Despite being "at work" the whole time, every single day I've been at Bridgeport, I think to myself: "Cant believe I am getting PAID to be out here". Although some of my Marines, being of a younger "XBOX" / city boy persuasion tended to think otherwise.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby RalphWEmersonII » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:55 am

If you possess a Military ID card can you fish the Cannel around Homestead? ralphemerson2@yahoo.com
RalphWEmersonII
hunter

Postby conservation guy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey SSG Tim glad to hear your defending our country with the Nevada Guard.
I am a little out of your operation area but if you get up to new england i will hunt with you @ Ft Devens Ma.
I'm no longer on active so I hope you would hunt with a wounded warrior 11B vet.
I hope you have a great hunting season and get to spend some time with other soldiers who enjoy hunting

Col USMC thank you for helping out SSG Tim.

All you Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, and prior service members THANK YOU you are the best our Country has to offer.

Posted by a gratefull Rifleman who to this day believes that to be his biggest contribution to our country

Airborne All The Way
Infantry Follow Me
conservation guy
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm

conservation guy wrote:Hey SSG Tim glad to hear your defending our country with the Nevada Guard.
I am a little out of your operation area but if you get up to new england i will hunt with you @ Ft Devens Ma.
I'm no longer on active so I hope you would hunt with a wounded warrior 11B vet.
I hope you have a great hunting season and get to spend some time with other soldiers who enjoy hunting

Col USMC thank you for helping out SSG Tim.

All you Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, and prior service members THANK YOU you are the best our Country has to offer.

Posted by a gratefull Rifleman who to this day believes that to be his biggest contribution to our country

Airborne All The Way
Infantry Follow Me

Well Said CG! :thumbsup:

I will extend an offer if any of you come to Massachusetts and want to experience a Sea Duck hunt or whatever is in season including Fishing. :beer:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Military Forum