Help with calls

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Help with calls

Postby jensen_i_1775 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:10 am

I know the Duck season is coming to an end, but I would like to start getting stuff together for next season, I'm in So Cal and was wondering if anyone can give me a hand on what calls I should invest in. My wife bought me this wingsetter 8 in 1 duck and quail call, but I'm not sure that I'm sounding right so I've just been jump shooting ducks here and there. If anyone can give me a hand and help me out it would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
jensen_i_1775
Newb

Re: Help with calls

Postby brad0861 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:29 pm

You should practice your calling on the cheap calls first. Once you get good at it you can invest in a more expensive call. Usually they cost anywhere from $50-150. There is a lot of companies that make good quality calls; RNT, Bill Saunders, Zink. Look em up. If you don't hunt much and are just jump shooting you can probably get away with using the cheaper calls. Just figure out how to use it and how to call, otherwise your gonna scare away more than you call in. Where are you hunting at anyways, Pendleton?
brad0861
hunter

Postby jensen_i_1775 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Thank you for your insite, I'm trying to figure out this wingsetter 8 in 1 duck call my wife bought me, but I think I sound nothing like what I'm supposed to. Yeah I"m in good old Camp Pen. Take it you've been there before.
jensen_i_1775
Newb

Postby brad0861 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 pm

I did some hunting there last year. Coming back in a few months from this deployment. Havn't ever used an 8 in 1 call before, if I were you I would just go get buy a regular call with an instructional CD. I used a lot of intructional tapes and CDs when I first started calling. RNT makes a good call and CD combo for around $50. I would use that before you start calling any ducks yourself. Also, if you want some better hunting where you can actually get some birds to work you should either make a trip up north or out to the salton sea. If not, I have heard that lake henshaw was a decent place to go. Costs $20 to get in and hunt it though. Good luck, you really have to hunt to find a good spot down there in So Cal.
brad0861
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 pm

jensen_i_1775 wrote:Thank you for your insite, I'm trying to figure out this wingsetter 8 in 1 duck call my wife bought me, but I think I sound nothing like what I'm supposed to. Yeah I"m in good old Camp Pen. Take it you've been there before.

As you come in the front gate, at the light turn left, there used to be a couple of ponds at the base of that hill on the right hand side of the road, do they still have the blinds there? I haven't hunted Pendleton in the last 10 years but God did I do good on the ducks. There was a spot just off the road at the bell that would flood and the duck would pile in there. Wasn't but about 50 yards off the road but the wardens gave us permission to hunt it (would not advise it now) and we absolutely slaughtered the ducks off of it. If you have any questions about waterfowling Camp Pendleton, Let me know. That was on the greatest based I have ever been stationed on.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby brad0861 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 pm

I hunted pendleton last year, didn't do that great but still had a good time. Most of the ponds were dried up last year so not much to shoot at. Some descent jump shooting by the coastal areas but there was no water until January. Don't know how it was this year, when I was home on R&R in Nov it seemed things were still kinda dry but they have got lots of water now from what I hear.
brad0861
hunter

Postby Ginzu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 pm

some of the best duck hunting I did in 35 years of duck hunting was SOCAL last year. I split my time between CAMPEN and the Colorado River.

Ginzu
Col USMC
Colonel, USMC
CH-53E pilot
Ginzu
hunter

Postby brad0861 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 pm

I have to say, the duck hunting in SoCal doesn't even come close to the hunting in Wa state where I grew up. Guess I have been to spoiled, but if I want to get any good hunting in I usually plan some leave to go back home.
brad0861
hunter

Return to Military Forum