Airforce

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Airforce

Postby Vav » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm

I am interested in joining the airforce for 10 years but I want to join as an officer. My question is Do you have to go to college before you enlist? If so I would need to have a scholorship because I do not have any college funds; would the airforce help me pay for college?
Thanks for any imput
Vav
hunter

Re: Airforce

Postby brktrt-18 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 am

There are basically 3 ways to become an officer. ROTC, an Academy, or Officer Candidate school. ROTC and an Academy you can apply for straight out of high school where OCS you will enlist first. The best course of action kind of depends on your current life situation and performance during high school. The military will pay for your college depending on what path you go. I would look into ROTC programs at colleges you are interested in and contact those programs.
brktrt-18
hunter

Postby Vav » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 pm

thank you for the advice I will look into those 3 pathways.
Vav
hunter

Postby rvrrat01 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:52 am

I usually just browse this site and enjoy reading everyone's hunting strories, but I saw your question and thought I may be able to help. A big question is what do you want to do in the Air Force? I am a retired Major from the California Air National Guard and started basically the same way you are, doing my research. The Air National Guard is another way to become an Officer and if your desire is to become a pilot, usually each squadron selects someone every year to go to Air Force Pilot training. I enlisted when I was 19, became a mechanic on the F-4 and eventually after jumping through all the hoops, flew the KC-135 for over 15 years. There are Air National Guard Squadrons in most States, if not all. Many states pay your college tuition if your in the Guard plus there are a lot of other great benefits. Send any questions my way that you may have. Good luck!
Jeff
rvrrat01
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Recently (2009) retired enlisted person here. If your dedicated to school you can enlist, go through tech school, and then get to your first base. Once you get to your first base you will have what is called CDC's to complete, Career Development Course. Pretty much every squadron will not let you take college courses till your CDC's are complete. You get 1 month per volume of CDC's, some jobs have 2 volumes, some have many more. Once you complete your CDC's go to the Base Education office and start taking classes (online or traditional) as you see fit. Tuition is 100% paid while you are in. You will have to pay for books, but there are always Pell Grants, loans, etc. If you dedicate yourself you can finish your Bachelors in 4yrs, even with deployments, but YOU HAVE TO DEDICATE YOURSELF TO IT. Far to often young folks enlist then decide that partying with their co-workers and getting hammered every weekend is the way to go. Once you get your degree you can apply for officer training. This would also allow you to save your GI Bill benefits for transfer to your wife/future wife or children if you so choose. Take it from me, or don't... I did not get my Bachelors in 4yrs, hell after 21 I only have my Assosciates, but I did have a lot of fun :yes: .

You could join any service and become the highest ranking enlisted person, Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force, and at 20yrs you would be making $5436.60 a month, or... you could go active duty, get your degree, become an officer, and by the time you are at 8yrs total service, and a captain (03E) you would be making $5449.20. After that pay goes up substantially. I tell all the young enlisted kids that I talk to that you could do 20+ as a Chief and have all the respect in the world, cause quite frankly most Chiefs are pretty awesome, or you could be an officer and at the end of the day, with the same amount of time in service be making a WHOLE lot more $$. Go to school. Get your degree.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Return to Military Forum