Water fowling Military in Virginia

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Water fowling Military in Virginia

Postby LEWDOG » Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 am

Waterfowl hunting in Va. is hard b/c of the lack of public land and blind laws , in the past I have taken out many military hunters here in my hunting grounds and in doing so I have made a lot of new friends and too I have made Va. hunters mad . The Va.board members would say "why do you bring these hunters here killing up what little birds we have in the state". It got to the point that I had to stop inviting hunters on the public Va. board here on these forums and turn to PM-ing my invites. Then I started having my friends here at home saying the same thing so last season I hunted alone for the most part . Now DGIF is going to make non-hunters pay a user fee to use our WMA's and I will bet that hunting on our WMA will suck big time . Plus DGIF is going to up the cost of all licenses , I am going to drop buying my duck blind licenses and start hunting seaducks on the open public waters on the lower Chesapeake bay. These waters are not hunted much if at all b/c most don't have the boat that can take it , plus seaducks are not what one would call table food . But sea ducking is some great wing shooting and has a much longer season then any other waterfowl and I'm working on finding recipes that will make them worth eating.
The reason for this thread is to let my military friends and future friends know that my invites to hunt will start again in the 2011-2012 season !!!
Stop by the Virginia board to say hello and Thank You for your service :beer: .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Re: Water fowling Military in Virginia

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:27 pm

well you know i'm not going to pass on this one! i'll be getting ahold of you when i move up to VA in September! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby astrobud311 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am

Lew I think it's great that yo have bone this in the past, and great that your gonna start doing it again. I think alot of the guys your talking about on the board don't quite understand that being moved around all the time really sucks. It take a while to find spots learn new laws, and make contacts to just have a decent season. Thanks again for all your help, and everyone else that has extended there hand to help us military out.
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Postby jparachutist357 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:03 pm

It's great to see someone willing to help out us military members find hunting places. I am new to this site and fairly new to VA and am trying to find someone willing to help with duck hunting in the FT Eustis area.
Being from South Louisiana, I grew up duck hunting and love it. :smile:
jparachutist357
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 am

Don't forget to check in and post up in the Virginia forums...lots of good people in there. I'm moving there in September.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:35 am

Stopping by to see what has been going on with this board and to update this thread. I love puddle duck hunting to much to give it up and do nothing but seaducks so I license most of my blinds and will have the Welcome mat out .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby astrobud311 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I'll be in there with ya lew can't wait for sept!!!
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Postby shakiepaws » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey lewdog did u get my pm
shakiepaws
Newb

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Yes and have sent one back tonight . Welcome to the posting side of the forum :clapping: .

:smile: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby afman87 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Good to see your still at it Lewdog. I know I really appreciated your help when I lived in Virgina. Now I'm living in Alaska and doing the same thing for military members that have never duck hunted before. We are having a blast. Thanks for getting me hooked and supporting our troops.
Brandon
afman87
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Alaska , man I wish I could take a trip to see a friend and do a few hunts !!! I'm glad that my actions inspired you to do the same . Sharing my hunting grounds as a way to say thanks has made me many new friends and at the same time helps to fill a great need.

:thumbsup: LD :wink:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby afman87 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 pm

You know I always have a spot in my blind for you LD. I'm just starting to learn how the birds are around here but next season we are gonna hut em hard. Very Very short seasons due to freeze up. Hopefully our paths cross again.
Brandon
afman87
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:27 am

LD has hooked me up in the past :thumbsup: Thank's Craig
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Good times for sure Mike, I don't hunt that point much these days b/c of that house that is above your head in that picture . Here let me show you a picture I took on the last day of the season last year :mad: .
The yellow on the beach isn't sand and that pine tree isn't no duck blind . 100's of ducks and geese go there to spend the season . I reported this to DGIF the day after and have not check it out this year yet , going to wait till Nov. 1ST and if it hasn't change I'll be skeet shooting at sunrise every morning just off the shoreline until it does.
Anyway that was one dumb snow goose wasn't it :biggrin: .

:grooving: LD :hi:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:18 am

i couldnt help but comment after reading that first post. why on earth would anyone have any heartache about extending an invite to military members? at less than 1% of the American population, i have to say, its not like we'd be shooting off all the ducks and ruining a season, even if every last one of us went out and skybusted away! ok, maybe that'd be a bit much, but i'm active military and have a hard enough time getting out - i'm solo 99% of the time, which is dangerous and just not as much fun as sharing it with someone else that really appreciates it. after hunting all season on the NC Coast by myself last season, i was able to slip down to Arkansas and literally saw on ducks and geese for a week straight, but you know what was better than leavin while they were still flying? sharing it with someone else. i have yet to unlock the mystery of why so many duck hunters desire to keep the sport to themselves, and never will understand why you wouldnt want to pass it on to someone that might really enjoy the thrill of the hunt. i'm workin on my second complete season deployed at the moment, and its insult to injury on top of having to leave the family, but i enjoy what i do just enough to make it bearable. i'll get off my soapbox now, i dont need a hug, i'm just throwing it out there - LD is just trying to help folks out, what could be wrong with that? bottom line: if youre not doing this more often..... :beer: ......youre doing something wrong.

thanks LD for extending the offer, i'll look you up for 2012-2013.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Robs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Its good to see people willing to help the military i PM'd you i just moved to VA and wanting to get back in to duck hunting.
Robs
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Robs , I sent a PM back to you today with a invite , hoping this post will ring your PC.
Dog Tired wrote:i couldnt help but comment after reading that first post. why on earth would anyone have any heartache about extending an invite to military members?
thanks LD for extending the offer, i'll look you up for 2012-2013.

Dog , I hear that a lot will be coming home soon , if you are one , I have a seat ready for you .
Here in Va. there are few birds , a thing called Blind Laws and a very large number of military bases , add all that up and one can see why so many have headaches .

:smile: LD :hammer:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 am

i might catch very late feb at best i'm afraid, but i'll fire out a few PMs when i get a little closer. i appreciate the invite, we'll see how much :hammer: the wife lets me get away with after so many months away.... i guess the blind laws and bases are what they are. i've seen a few rules and regs on bases taht create "the king's forest" for the base warden and his cronies, but i guess it is what it is and we can only fight it so much.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 am

Hi guys. Lew mentioned this forum yesterday and i figured I'd check it out, First of all, I'd like to thank LD for making it a goal of his to take you guys out to hunt as a way of saying thank you. LD, me, and another guy just built a blind yesterday so LD could take you guys out. It was a long drive, but a great time, and having the thought of you guys having a blast in Virginia's marsh, is a good feeling for me. I volunteer a couple of Wounded Warriors and Military shooting/hunting events a season and it is a very rewarding thing for me. I'm exhausted at the end of the day, but it isn't work. I plan to follow Lewdog's lead and get some of you out hunting too, on a individual basis as well as this year's WW events. You guys are sent all over the USA and abroad and many into battle on what I call " lunar landscape" soil and then don't have a place to hunt in my state? Unacceptable. I have one lease to my name and are partners of a pair of blinds in other places also. Any of you guys draw a Swan Tag? Our club's lease has a ton of Swan, let me know. PM me and we'll get something going. Ducks, canadas, and swan. I also would be glad to answer a lot of questions about waterfowling, hunting in general, and I promise if I don't know the answer, I'll resist making one up like I used to, ha, and find someone who knows.
Now, with that said. I'd like to say a little something about LD being criticized on the Va DHC forum about taking a soldier or sailor hunting. First of all, I would like LD and any one of us to stand strong and tell the critic to shut his mouth. Anyone who would want to sway or stop a guy from taking out our military for any reason is in my words a low life and a piece of crap, to put it mildly, very mildly. Second, their criticism only fuels guys like you and now me..... to do more. LD, you are on to something good. You got a heart of gold. Don't let selfish, self centered crap element stop you from doing what is in your heart.
The hunt is on, boys!
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 am

:ditto: Well said and much appreciation to those that offer us military guys to get out on a hunt!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby SX3STEW » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:57 pm

:clapping: Thank you LD and Tail for supporting all of us in the service.
James
Waterfowl Mafia
SX3STEW
hunter

Postby andy_cop » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:53 pm

First of all I would like to say Thank you for the ones who support the military, what we do, and what we stand for. I happen to be one of those individuals who have found it extremely difficult to find a place to hunt in this state. Don't understand why sooo many people are against meeting others and enjoying the camaraderie. I happen to enjoy that just as much, if not more. I am an avid waterfowl hunter and have been away from it for so long that it would probably take me a bit to remember how to shoot them...lol. Land these days seems to be more and more scarce and people are just out to make a buck with as much as they want for a lease. I have served my country for 16 years and can remember the day the base shut down on a holiday weekend for people putting signs on their lawns stating "dogs and sailors keep off grass". Needless to say they took them all down shortly after...point is, I think its harder for us military to find places to hunt here because some before us have left a bad impression and we are almost looked at as the outcast.

Enough of my soapbox, once again, thank you so much for the invitations that you have sent out, even though I didnt take you up on your offer...yet...it means more to me that the offer is there. I hope everyone has a great season and gets on some of gods wonderful gifts to this earth, as I will be deploying shortly and more than likely wont get to partake this year. God bless you all!!!
andy_cop
hunter

Postby Boots » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Hey fellow waterfowlers! New to this site and I am a coastie out here in Portsmouth. I have read the rule book and scouted extensively out here and had a couple of hunts. I love puddle duck hunting and field goose hunting but recently found a spot for divers and had very successful hunts pursuing them. In order to have a better hunt for them would reguire a boat for transportation and my boat is a deep V so i cant access it. I need a flat bottom. Would anybody be up for going diver hunting this Saturday on the lower ES?

Thanks to all who realize it isn't easy for the military to hunt and want to do something about it!
Boots
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:42 pm

i've got a flat bottom & a mud motor, but already got plans for this Saturday. Maybe another time...shoot me a PM sometime.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby VaTailfeathers » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:48 am

Any of you guys have a Tundra Swan Permit? Shoot me a PM, I gotta place to shoot them and be glad to take you. :thumbsup:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Next

Return to Military Forum