Re-enlisting tomorrow

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Re-enlisting tomorrow

Postby FMFdevildoc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 pm

So the day has come & it's time to re-enlist tomorrow.

As opposed to taking a break in service, or navigate the byzantine process of re-enlisting as an IRR i've stayed in the Reserve Navy. So I am signing another contract with the reserves, with the intent to either pursue a commission or 1ST MARDIV orders into the active Navy once Im done with college, before this contract is up. Some of my friends, also in the service tell me I am nuts - "You WANT to go to Camp Pendleton again"? And I have to remind the ones that aren't Corpsmen, that its about job satisfaction: being an FMF Corpsman has it's share of days, yet for every one of those there are plenty where I am reminded WHY I feel I've got the best rate in the Navy.

Anyhow, I am happy to raise my hand & swear - in again, looking forward to pass by the years until at least 20 roll by. I just want to earn my retirement and my seat at the local VFW.

Best regards - Doc
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Re: Re-enlisting tomorrow

Postby TomKat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:59 am

Thank you for your service!
TomKat
Dorothy

Re: Re: Re-enlisting tomorrow

Postby derekj » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:08 am

TomKat wrote:Thank you for your service!

X2!! Congrats on your re-enlist!

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
derekj
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Congrats man and good luck to you! I re-enlisted for another 6 years last month...Aviation Electrician on H-60's for the Navy.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby FMFdevildoc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 am

I hope they gave you an SRB Ichabod... I know alot of the flight ratings are getting worked over pretty hard, rates merged - etc.

After the "surge" the re-enlistment bonuses for FMF Corpsmen dried up & the rate is "Manned" yet for E4 & below it is "undermanned". Hence why my 22 year old HA got $15K to join.

Had I stayed with the ricky recon Marines & went through all the recon / high speed training, my SRB would be a disgustingly large sum of money.... But I am getting old & that definitely IS a young man's game.

Anyhow, the deal is done. Hopefully, by next year I will be out of a reserve contract and back with the fleet.

Regards.
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 am

SRB... :lol3:...those disappeared for my rate back in 2006. Doubt we will ever see those again.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby tknight006 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:SRB... :lol3:...those disappeared for my rate back in 2006. Doubt we will ever see those again.

I feel your pain on this, my rate (AWR) is one of the many rates that they are doing an Enlisted Retention Board on, which is a politically correct way of saying that they are looking at the 106 of us that enlisted from oct 96-oct 04, and separating 30 to get the rate to its proper manning. I took my E.O.D. in test last week, so hopefully I can jump over to that and not have to deal with this junk.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:58 am

I hope you get your EOD rating / conversion, those guys promote well, deservedly so.

I first learned of the width and breadth of the air rating(s) downsizing & merges when I was in Corps school years ago. There were a tm of guys who were PTS or essentially being forcibly cross rated. Bunch of E5-E6 guys having to learn a whole new trade, as a result. Unlike some of the rates, or perhaps individuals who 'represented' different rates, many of these guys were warfare qualified and sharp dudes.

Granted, this was at the beginning of the war in Iraq & MANY people were becoming Corpsmen whether they wanted to or not. This was also around when the Navy thought "self paced" Corps school would be appropriate, thankfully they went away from that useless computer based "training" and returned to instructor based curriculum.

Sometimes, the whole rating / conversion / merge thing simply baffles me. Yet realistically, the Department of The Navy has already began trimming the fat and downsizing... Best I can hope for is for no Clinton-esque downsizing efforts IMO. On a personal level it makes sense, yet sometimes I have witnessed far too many bright, promising, hard charging sailors get swept out of the Navy during these downsize efforts.

Least there's still work for FMF Corpsmen, lord knows, I've got (another) durkadurkastan tour planned soon enough.
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Return to Military Forum