Going back "active" duty for a while...

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Going back "active" duty for a while...

Postby FMFdevildoc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:05 pm

I have been a reservist for a few years and just found out that my active duty orders have been approved :clapping: Also found out that at some point, in the future (OPSEC) I will be getting another deployment (Afghanistan) :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I will be "I & I" (Inspector - Instructor) staff at my Marine Reserve unit in California, coordinating the medical department, being a Corpsman and all. I am excited to switch from a primarily medical care provider to a heavily administrative position for a while. Best part is that when my reserve Marines are training, I still get to go to the field and not be a total POTG / office jockey.

6 months to a year of E5 / 8 years service / 2 dependant / San Francisco Bay Area, CA housing allowance... Sadly, the wages I will earn from the military are much better than what I earn at a civilian ambulance provider.

Anyhow - looking forward to going back to the business and I am going to use this period as a deciding factor whether I want to return to the "Big" Navy and try for orders to 1ST MARDIV. (Some people are sick, very sick) I liked Camp Pendleton for some reasonm, I am married and have a family, so I haven't got to worry about being eaten up alive by the monster that Oceanside is.

If any of you have experience as I&I staff or "FTS" Navy PM me: I am taking a survey of those who are full - time / active duty, yet in the reserve support realm. The "big" active (fleet) Navy supposedly is too over-manned on E5 FMF Corpsmen, so they aren't taking any prior service contracts, yet I may be able to transition & segue into an FTS active duty contract. I have weighed heavily on re-enlisting into full time military service, I really miss it most days. I fully intend on doing 20 years, whether reserve or in the fleet.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Re: Going back "active" duty for a while...

Postby FITZH2O » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:28 pm

FMFdevildoc wrote: so I haven't got to worry about being eaten up alive by the monster that Oceanside is.

Pendleton is a pretty nice base but damned if I would want my kids growing up in Oceanside. J-ville is bad, but that place is something else. Hell all of So-Cal is weird. I have a uncle that lives in Rialto and he is quite the character.

Best of luck to you on I&I... I hear it can be kind of interesting.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby towgunner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 am

Ok...first off, suck up the extra drive and live in Orange county..San Juan Capistrano is nice and you can find good deals in Dana point. Its a big base and you could end up anywhere not just hospital near mainside. Secondly, while active you could apply to hospitals for a per diem ED tech position that makes way better cash than private EMS. Plenty of medic programs to get into in that area too(saddleback/santa ana college) OCFA also has a reserve program too so you could get a foot in there. I was both sides of the house with Weapons 3/5 by the back gate just outside san clemente and then with A Co. 4th LAR (reserve) at las flores near the las pulgas exit. The wait for base housing is a bit long, but not worth it in my opinion. Push your career jammer hard when on active duty!!! My buddy is now in Vegas and a corpsman with Fox 2/23 and is losing deployment possibilities because he is reserve(politics)...and pissed he didn't do more while sent to Iraq a year or so ago... Can the IDC route help get you anywhere? Just a thought, Good luck Doc!!
towgunner
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:20 am

IDC schools application is probably going to happen, I enjoy medicine a great deal. Matter of fact, completed Paramedic program early this year. Hoping to part time as a Paramedic somewhere whilst on active duty, if the bosses approve it of course.

I am in the chute for a deployment in the future, which has been assured to us by higher. Of course, time / date / location are "TBD - OPSEC" I certainly wouldn't mind another deployment, we all know they can be rough... but they pay is decent and it helps for promotion.

Anyhow, I am just counting down days to go back on orders and hoping to get some leave days in form some duck slaughtering this year. California should have a good season. And btw I was on the 4TH tanks AT in Idaho last summer, bunch of guys from 4TH LAR, don't remember what elements. Tanks was pretty legit, also nice to see the variations in infantry vs. Mechanized.

Really I was just thrilled to see the bad ass shower trailers those boys managed to obtain. Now that was the BEST variation ever.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Doc whenever you leave, PM me your address and if you need/want anything while you are out there, let me know. Docs take care of their Marines and Marines will take care of their Docs! Head down and guns up brother.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Return to Military Forum