Home W/ My Dog

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Home W/ My Dog

Postby conservation guy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi all, just seeing how many of you missed your dog when you were deployed?
When i was in Iraq ( SSG 11B ) I would have given anything to have had my dogs with me. I think being without a dog was the hardest part of active duty.

We got to have dog handlers detached to us a couple of times, those guys had their backs covered by the best Soldier in the Army 4 legged warriors. The entire platoon would feel better when we had the dogs. They watched out for us with their great nose and ears we protected them like our children.

Now that I'm home I just like to be in the field with my dogs, I never get upset at them. I'm just so happy to be home and able to be with them again. When I'm in the field with them i know I am part of a great team and so do they.

Iraq sucks
conservation guy
hunter

Re: Home W/ My Dog

Postby joec » Fri May 25, 2012 1:30 pm

I would have to agree there. I have an english bulldog that is my best friend and like kid. Love this guy. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I would skype and it was fun to watch him go to the door waiting for me. I can say getting off that plane to her and my family was great, but walking in that door to the dog was amazing. He stuck to my heels for the next few weeks. I knew a guy at my first duty station who was a Navy dog handler. he lost his dog in Iraq in like 04 i believe. Messed him up real good. They really are like family. Have a baby on the way(1st one), can't wait to see how the two get along.
joec
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:46 pm

I think every unit should have dogs if for nothing else than stress relief. The shrinks would do well to be half as effective as a dog wagging his' tail when a soldier comes back to base.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby ringneckslayer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 am

Currently in Afghanistan, and yes your exactly right! Dogs make it better! I miss my lab almost like she is one of my kids!
ringneckslayer
hunter

Postby millertimeUSMC » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

The return home and your dogs reaction is the best honestly I think I was a little more happy to see my dog than my wife! Having him cry and jump all over me!
USMC OEF VET 09-13
Board Member/Director of Community Outreach
The Warfighter Foundation
warfighterfoundation.org
millertimeUSMC
hunter

Postby ringneckslayer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 am

millertimeUSMC wrote:The return home and your dogs reaction is the best honestly I think I was a little more happy to see my dog than my wife! Having him cry and jump all over me!

I cant wait!!
ringneckslayer
hunter

Return to Military Forum