SOLDIER MOVING TO FORT SILL FROM MICHIGAN

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

SOLDIER MOVING TO FORT SILL FROM MICHIGAN

Postby mkeller62 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:43 pm

I will be moving to Fort Sill during hunting season (Nov 2nd-April 2nd) and am in need of some hunting partners for waterfowl as well as deer and hogs.
I am an experienced waterfowl and deer hunter from Michigan and want take in all the hunting OK has to offer.

Can and will bring all gear and firearms/ammo and bow as needed

Im just looking for some good guys to hunt with while I'm there and or some pointers/info to hunt alone if necessary. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated
mkeller62
Newb

Re: SOLDIER MOVING TO FORT SILL FROM MICHIGAN

Postby hobbsj » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 pm

I just got done with BCT down there. I saw a lot of ducks and geese and the BCT side of the base. I saw signs saying hunting with shotguns was allowed in a couple areas. If you have access and its permitted, I consistently saw ducks and geese around the grenade range. I'm not sure what all is around there, but if you haven't been out much, maybe this can give you a bit of direction.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby JMTaylor » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Check around post there has to be someone somewhere that can give you direction. I've got a captain that I am deployed with that some of the best hunting he has had was on Fort Sill for whitetail, not sure on the birds though.
JMTaylor
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 pm

I was stationed there twice before I retired and there is excellent hunting there. Not sure about now but they use to do blind drawings and you picked from a list of blinds for 3 days (fri-Sun) I found the smaller pot holes to be more productive. Good turkey and deer hunting also. Its a big post and lots of room to learn the areas. My 2 favorite spots were Rudd Tank and Ketch lake. Good luck and Thxs for serving.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby duckhunter175 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Enjoy- The hunting for waterfowl and big game (deer, turkey, elk, pigs) is outstanding as long as you have time to put in and scout.

Ive been at Sill twice now and had great times. Don't be afraid to branch out to the nearby WMAs either. Go to the Wildlife Center, take the hunter ed/range safety class and fire away with your questions. They are very helpful when it comes to learning about the land and the laws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEDoJ-zASTA

A small vid from the 2011-2012 season.
duckhunter175
hunter

Return to Military Forum