Duck Hunting near Fort Knox, KY???

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Duck Hunting near Fort Knox, KY???

Postby stf3id » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 am

I'm PCSing from GA to Fort Knox in the fall. I'm going to have to work fast to try to figure out the waterfowl situation before season opens! Anyone have any experience in the area that can give me some advice? Thanks.
stf3id
Newb

Re: Duck Hunting near Fort Knox, KY???

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:46 am

It's tough but we scratch out some birds. I live in etown and mostly hunt private farms around etown and down into Larue and hart county. Yellow bank wma is pretty good. Haven't hunted there but have helped band ducks there. Hoping to get up there and hunt a few times this year. When will you be in? Early goose comes in sept 1-15 and woodduck and teal come in the 18th for 5 days.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby stf3id » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. Won't be in KY until early OCT. I'll be hunting early goose down here in GA....which doesn't hurt my feelings. Limit is 5, and I've had good luck with the geese down here. Doin my part to thin out the resident birds! Have you ever hunted the Ohio? I've heard it gets pretty competitive for the decent spots. You have much luck getting permission for the private farms or do you lease? Thanks again.
stf3id
Newb

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 am

I have good luck getting permission. I am looking at one place I may pay for this year but the guy I know that is friends with the owner hasn't gotten back with me yet. I have 11 farms to hunt and pay for none of them. Start with geese its much easier to get permission as a lot of people consider them pests. Never hunted the Ohio as my buddy doesn't like big water or boats. We mainly hunt farm ponds and cut corn fields. Still got a few landowners to get with to pick up 3-4 more spots then I will be set to start scouting.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby stf3id » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 am

Good for you man! I used to have some good private spots in TN years back, but I got told no way more than yes. Maybe cause I'm ugly. I'm looking forward to moving up there though. I was up there checking out the area back in May and saw a lot of turkeys. I'm a big turkey hunter too. I'm not worried about finding turkey spots though. Got plenty of time to figure that out before turkey season.
stf3id
Newb

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 am

You will always get more no's than yes's but you never know till you ask. Got one place that everyone I talked to said they don't let anybody hunt so I asked figured the worst they can do is say no and to my surprise the owner said well nobody has ever asked to duck hunt yeah go ahead. A lot of people figure if its an easy spot to see and nobody is hunting it then they owner won't let anyone. If ya get up here and can't find a place hollar at me and we can get together for a hunt or two.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby brauyanwilles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:59 am

stf3id wrote:I'm PCSing from GA to Fort Knox in the fall. I'm going to have to work fast to try to figure out the waterfowl situation before season opens! Anyone have any experience in the area that can give me some advice? Thanks.

See, as per my opinion it's really tough. My hobby is hunting then whether its a farms or any private yard. When will you be in? Early goose comes in sept 1-15 and woodduck and teal come in the 20th.
brauyanwilles
Newb

Return to Military Forum