Body Armor

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Body Armor

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:52 am

Hey guys.....
Crash course me please.....something came up at work and I need to know everything there is to know about body armor...
Ups, downs, preferences, heavy hitter companies, BS, myths, what works, what doesn't, weight, cost, future etc....
Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Body Armor

Postby jeepman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Body armor is really mission specific. Body armor is made to different ballistic levels depending on what is being used for. the ballistic level for a highway patrolman is going to have a lower ballistic level than some one in an EOD unit defusing ordinance in a combat zone. Ceramic or steel plates can also be inserted to increase the level of protection to vital areas. the upside to more armor is that it can protect more of your body, but I think it is a trade off. the more armor the less Mobil and slower the person will be. A far as cost goes the sky is the limit.as far as effectiveness I know from first hand accounts that the ceramic plates do stop high powered small arms fire. my kit with a full combat load was around 70 pounds.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm

What he said, much more would be to close to giving out secrets lol. But I can tell you the company that made the "Improved Body Armor" used by the army for a while is Point Blank. Blade stoppage my vary depending on quality of kevlar as well (ie cheap vests won't stop knives).
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:58 am

As far as blades go no "soft" armor will stop a blade. Choosing the right kit is a mission specific choice. On my last deployment I brought 3 different vests for different mission sets As far as helmets go if you are going into a high blast area the crye precision helmet is by far the best. They are a two piece design so most of the blast wave will have a pressure escape area preventing it from scrambling your brain worse than just from initial shock wave. If just a gun fighting area use the ops core most comfortable by far. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me and I'll answer any specific questions you have
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Heh, us line grunts get heavy or not so heavy vests and the brass upstairs tell us which to wear. Uncle Sam provides and we make do. :help:
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Yeah I remember those days lol. Glad I moved past that to where they trust you on yourself The only mandatory thing was you had to wear plates
Duck Nasty
hunter

Return to Military Forum