Best friend going on first tour

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Best friend going on first tour

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:20 pm

My best friend/ best man is making his first trip to Afghanistan. He is reporting with his company in West Palm Tuesday and have their final ceremony on Thursday. To make matters worse his wife is due to have their first child a few days later. Were all hoping he comes before he leaves the state. He is going mobile in El Paso. Anyways, we went and shot some sporting clays today since he wont be with me this season. Its gonna be difficult for me with him gone. Hes my go to hunting partner and the closest friend I have around within driving distance. He said they have not decided how long the tour will be. I get married in August and im hoping he will be back before then to stand next to me. He's a combat engineer and will be doing route clearance in the eastern part of the country. Im not in the military, but I thought I would share with those of you who are or have been. Any suggestions on how to cope with this will be helpful because Im already thinking the worse
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Re: Best friend going on first tour

Postby flyfisher76544 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 am

You can't think of the worst, that is just freaking depressing. These days you should be able to stay in contact fairly easy through instant messenger and all that stuff. Be there to help out his family, make sure you let him know that you have everything back home under control. Keep him in your plans for your wedding and everything else. Film your hunts and take tons of picts, it helps out a lot. Send him Care packages with magazines and dvds, and other stuff. Heck once he gets settled let us know and there probably will be a bunch of folks who will send out a couple of boxes.
You have to stay positive, his wife and kid will pick up the vibe if you don't.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:45 am

flyfisher76544 wrote:You can't think of the worst, that is just freaking depressing. These days you should be able to stay in contact fairly easy through instant messenger and all that stuff. Be there to help out his family, make sure you let him know that you have everything back home under control. Keep him in your plans for your wedding and everything else. Film your hunts and take tons of picts, it helps out a lot. Send him Care packages with magazines and dvds, and other stuff. Heck once he gets settled let us know and there probably will be a bunch of folks who will send out a couple of boxes.
You have to stay positive, his wife and kid will pick up the vibe if you don't.

I appreciate the info. His folks live in PA so I don't get to see them often. My fiancé and I already put a care package together for him and I gave it to him yesterday but I will probably send then a lot. I like the idea of sending hunting videos and pictures. My fiancé and I are gonna make the drive to see his wife and kid as much as possible because I know she is probably taking it the hardest b

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:34 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:Its gonna be difficult for me with him gone.

tmclaimerFL wrote:I know she is probably taking it the hardest

Hey man, the only comment I got is you need to re-evaluate these two sentiments. Its not going to be difficult for you, and she is not taking it the hardest. Your buddy is going to Afghanistan to look for bombs intended to kill him and his friends. You are going to be home trying to coax yourself out of bed to go hunting with nobody waiting on you. His wife is going to be waking up and enjoying their baby and being sad that he's not there to share her joy with him. Its going to be hard on you guys no doubt, you need to man up and couch all that though and focus on your buddy and what he is going through and what he needs.

He's got it infinitely worse than the two of you.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby E5B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Send lots of hunting magazines and books. Sounds like your bud will appreciate them. Also, do NOT send alcohol. Big time no-no.

Hot sauce, jerky, baby wipes, hard candy, coffee etc are good ideas for packages.

Remember, he is dealing with a tremendous amount of psychological issues. Help yourself by helping him. Look after his wife from time to time: offer to babysit while she naps, mow the grass, do the heavy lifting etc. Of the five deployments I've done I can tell you that these things are much appreciated. My wife will say the same.

Best of luck to your bud.
E5B
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:10 pm

E5B wrote: Also, do NOT send alcohol. Big time no-

Yeah they can get in trouble for having it. But if you do learn to disguise it ..... If you do. Don't send enough to get drunk on.

Fresh socks, tobacco (if he uses it. Stateside quality is way better than what gets shipped), magazines, pictures, snacks, anything you think will help improve quality of living. Surge protectors that can take 220. Seasonal items. And get creative my wife sent everything needed to make a pizza that was nice. The prevailed dough non refrigerated sauce and cheese. Smoked meat. Made for a tasty treat with the jetboil.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:40 am

tm, my son has served 2 tours there in the same job. The training and equipment is top notch. He will be safe if he doesn't let his guard down and will be back before you know it. Keep him supplied with the little things that are hard to come by there. Godspeed and safe return for him.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Return to Military Forum