Questions about military.

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu May 15, 2014 8:01 pm

I really want to join the marines or navy once I get out of high school. I have a few medical problems though and you guys have more knowledge than me. Right now I have a few back problems ( herniated disk and scoliosis) and also a stigmatism in my right eye although I see perfect 20-20 vision but if I close my left eye I can't see anything hardly just shapes. That's it as of medical. I want to join is there any chance they would accept me since I have these problems? I was thinking of navy nuclear and I don't know about marines. Thanks for reading. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :beer:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Re: Questions about military.

Postby LaRedneck » Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 pm

The Army will take you as long as you can walk.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:58 pm

LaRedneck wrote:The Army will take you as long as you can walk.

Haha, if you don't know if you belong in the marines, you don't belong in the marines. Seriously though. You don't belong. Go join the navy. It does it's job and I appreciate it for what it is, but a marine is a marine, no questions, ever.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Sat May 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
LaRedneck wrote:The Army will take you as long as you can walk.

Haha, if you don't know if you belong in the marines, you don't belong in the marines. Seriously though. You don't belong. Go join the navy. It does it's job and I appreciate it for what it is, but a marine is a marine, no questions, ever.

Don't get me wrong I want to be a marine just asking if the physical disabilities would make them not accept me. My neighbor was a marine he tells me some story's like how he was in Somalia and a RPG hit the building he lost one of his men and his hearing. He now wears hearing aids and has 4 bullet wounds. I believe it's awesome to serve and really want to. Sorry if I offended you in some way.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:02 am

Honestly, with herniated disks you do not want to be in the marines. Every marine goes through basic infantry training, they have a saying, "every marine is a rifleman first." You will carry heavy loads for long distances, and do 3-5 mile runs a lot, and wear heavy body armor. You honestly don't want to try army either, they do the same thing just not as much as the marines except for the infantry units. They're about on par with the amount of physical training they do. Depending on the doctors at MEPS (military entry processing station) you may get denied entry. I have seen a lot of soldiers get medically retired due to herniated disks. Also, if you have these issues now, they will only get worse with military service. Do you want to need surgery before you are 40? Are you willing to risk the use of your legs? Also, the army is downsizing a lot right now. I think it will be very difficult for you to be allowed to join. I applaud your desire, only about 1% of the population serve at any given time, and wanting to volunteer says a lot about your character. But I will not sugar coat anything, certain jobs run the risk of severe injury (even in peace time). Coming in already injured will only compound your issues.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:09 am

I agree with what's stated above. It's not abnormal for us to hump 120+ pounds for 10+ miles. I'd go talk to recruiters and see with your health issues if you even qualify for any branches then after that decide if you want to be a killer, or want to support the killers. All the jobs are necessary but some may not suit you.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:59 am

Also, I don't know about the scoliosis but that's likely a disqualification from the corps. As for an astigmatism, shouldn't matter for most MOSs but you cannot be a pilot. Navy nuclear is a great option and will set you up well whether you're in for 20 or just 4. A lot of my friends from college are submarine officers and they are doing quite well. Big difference between a sub guy and a marine though just culturally so find the group you fit in with most.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Sun May 18, 2014 7:30 am

Thank you guys for the information. I appreciate you guys not sugar coating it. I have been looking at some surgery for my back. The artificial discs are supposed to be released in these next few years I believe. I think there is a sergeant at school I will talk to him.
What about a doctor in the marines or army would that be a no also. If not I may go into navy nuclear. I was supposed to take AZVAB this year but never got called in to do it.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 am

Was there any injury the caused a disc herniation? Do you have sensation/strength loss because of it? A disc herniation at your age is somewhat unusual? Your scoliosis likely contributed to it. What does your scoliosis measure? I have not been in the military but I see 150+ patients a week with back issues. If you decide to serve, it needs to be in a branch that requires lower physical activity. This is just my unsolicited medical opinion. You will suffer for the rest of your life with how the Marine's training would beat you up. You don't want to be stuck dealing with the VA waiting for medical intervention. In the mean time, work on your core strength whether you enter or not. Side bridges and planks to be specific. You want to stick to isomeric core exercises, especially because of the scoliosis.
troutman561
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:35 am

Just saw the artificial disc post. Know that once you have surgery you will most likely need it many more times, especially this early in life. Surgery will make certain you don't serve. Do the research, even the best artificial disc implants fail and the segments wind up fusing themselves just as the traditional surgery would aim to do. Unless you have neurological deficits and constant, intractable nerve pain, avoid surgery.
troutman561
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:52 am

I know that navy medicine (officer side) requires an abbreviated version of OCS which may be a better option for you if they let you in. In order to do that though you must finish college and be progressing well in the medicine field.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Sun May 18, 2014 12:54 pm

I herniated my L4-L5 by lifting weights last year it's a mild herniation. I haven't lost strength or anything like that. My scoliosis is very mild. I don't wear a brace or anything. I will avoid surgery but I fear I might have to have it. Physical therapy hasn't done much and I have been in for about 12 visits.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Just talk to a recruiter. Meps will determine your eligibility

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:I herniated my L4-L5 by lifting weights last year it's a mild herniation. I haven't lost strength or anything like that. My scoliosis is very mild. I don't wear a brace or anything. I will avoid surgery but I fear I might have to have it. Physical therapy hasn't done much and I have been in for about 12 visits.

Find someone who does spinal decompression if it continues to be an issue. Decompression is around 70-80% effective and I recollect the research correctly.
troutman561
hunter

Postby duckduckduckboom » Mon May 19, 2014 10:55 pm

I tell you what....if you want honesty....I am an active duty army infantry officer, if you have issues with your back it doesn't matter your MOS the Military you are going to just compound your injuries. I have medically discharged 5 soldiers just this year for injuries similar to what you describe. Everything from infantrymen to supply soldiers to intelligence analysts. While I am not a medical doctor. I am very qualified to talk about what it takes to do this job everyday. If you don't have any pain now, that may not be the case in a year after you ruck around some and run on pavement everyday. Then you are back where you are now but with more injuries. I applaud your gumption young man, I do agree that should talk to your local recruiter. If you lie or hide that you have a pre existing medical condition you can be punitively discharged just FYI so just be honest. Sorry for being harsh.

"If you want peace, prepare for war"
duckduckduckboom
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:44 am

duckduckduckboom wrote:I tell you what....if you want honesty....I am an active duty army infantry officer, if you have issues with your back it doesn't matter your MOS the Military you are going to just compound your injuries. I have medically discharged 5 soldiers just this year for injuries similar to what you describe. Everything from infantrymen to supply soldiers to intelligence analysts. While I am not a medical doctor. I am very qualified to talk about what it takes to do this job everyday. If you don't have any pain now, that may not be the case in a year after you ruck around some and run on pavement everyday. Then you are back where you are now but with more injuries. I applaud your gumption young man, I do agree that should talk to your local recruiter. If you lie or hide that you have a pre existing medical condition you can be punitively discharged just FYI so just be honest. Sorry for being harsh.

"If you want peace, prepare for war"

Agreed completely, but I'm a Marine officer who is discharging a guy right now for a herniated disk. Same thing over here on the men's side of the ball game. Jk but seriously don't lie to a recruiter. I don't know about the air force, they have terribly low standards so they might wave it but honestly I don't see it going well with the army or the corps. Also realize every branch is currently downsizing. It's tough enough to get in given current "recruiting criteria" etc so be prepared for what ever may happen and look into every option.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 am

In regards to the specific body parts/ailments that you have mentioned.

"The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

Eyes:
1. Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters

Back:
1. Lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees,and kyphosis or lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the cobb method.

2. Ruptured nucleus pulposus, herniation of intervertebral disk or history of operation for this condition.

I'm not sure if this will help. Hopefully it will give you some insight.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 am

Ironically, having a green weenie is encouraged.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Tue May 20, 2014 11:55 am

You can go anywhere. If you have questions feel free to pm me
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Thank you guys I really appreciate being honest. I will propably have my AA by the time I graduate high school. So I can go in as a higher rank. The two I really want to do are either medical or marines if I can. At school we only have a army recruiter and a marine recruiter comes once a month and won't be coming again till next year . To go into the medical I would have to do all the 8 years for my doctorate and then contact a recruiter or is there special classes that I have to take specifically for the navy? These two sound like a job I would like the most.
Thanks for all the input again
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:07 pm

What is AA? Associates degree?
Last edited by Bluesky2012 on Tue May 20, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Also if you want, PM me and I can put you in contact with both navy doctors and corpsman who can tell you about both sides of navy medicine. From what I can infer, duck nasty can tell you about the enlisted side quite well (I may be wrong though, sorry if I read your posts wrong brother). I can tell you about the company grade officer level, and the other good dudes on here can tell you about other branches. I know a bit about the navy but obviously there are others here that can tell you quite a bit lore if you ask them. Let any of us know what you need and I guarantee one of us can find you an answer.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:30 pm

You just have to figure out what you want to do. Your questions are fairly broad, so an honest answer is hard to give.

Officer or Enlisted? Having an AA will get you from E-1 to E-3 (maybe) but the same can be said for if you perform above the rest in boot camp. Its not going to get you to a higher rank like you may think. (I'm speaking from the enlisted side of the house) There are literally so many avenues to enter the military either straight out of high school, taking the ROTC route, paying your way through college and going to OCS, etc. You can join as an enlisted member and then submit a package(application) to become an officer, which will then open other avenues. On and on.

You definitely have options, pending medical clearance. Find what you want, and go get it. Nothing stopping you.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Tue May 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Tknight- navy I plan on going in as an officer. Marines I would like to enlist if I could. I planned on paying for my college so I could get my doctorates. If I had my AA and preformed well in boot camp could I get a higher rank than E-3?

Bluesky- yes associates of arts I should have it about a year from now.

Some of the main reasons I want to me in medical is because I like to care for people,they make good money, and if I get discharged for back problems again I could get a job easily since I have that experience.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:59 pm

The highest you will come out of boot camp is as an E3, regardless of your level of education and/or future occupation within the navy. Certain jobs will allow you to be promoted to E4 upon completion of required trainjng for your rate.

If you have every intent of going to college and then joining the navy, then I highly recommend you try and get an ROTC scholarship and make the navy pay for your school. Not having student loans is a perk and you can continue your college education while you are serving in the Navy. Plenty of pilots at my squadron are also in school getting their masters

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Next

Return to Military Forum