Bad news for duck hunting - Ft. Bliss

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Bad news for duck hunting - Ft. Bliss

Postby chsend22 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Just came down on orders for Bliss, in El Paso. Bad news since I just got a retriever and I'm building a duck boat...of course the Army would send me to the desert!

I have gotten some good info from a couple guys on here about the area so far. Just trying to get as many opinions and ideas as possible. Anyone been down around there or know anything about the waterfowl situation?
chsend22
hunter

Re: Bad news for duck hunting - Ft. Bliss

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:53 am

I had not picked up duck hunting until after I left Bliss. But I can tell you that they have a program with New Mexico, you can get a resident New Mexico license when you are stationed at Bliss. So you might be able to poke around the New Mexico forum (if there is one?) and see what you can figure out. They have an excellent Rod and Gun club that usually has some pretty informed staff that could potentially point you in the right direction as well. There are state parks up and down the Rio Grande too. Might be worth checking out.

On the plus side, they have a lottery for Oryx. The largest of the african antelope species (400 lbs+ for adult males), they were transplanted way back in the day and they have a decent population on the federal property. Last time I was there it was ~$300 for a service person/retiree for a chance at a tag. Also there are elk, pronghorn, javelina, quail, turkey and mule deer either on federal property or within a couple hours or less drive up into NM. The elk will probably be the farthest drive you'll have to make.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby chsend22 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:41 am

Good stuff, thanks!

I had definitely planned on checking out the R&G club. From what I can tell, it does sound like a great organization. I have also come to believe that NM, whether on or off post, is going to be my best bet for any hunting at all. It doesn't seem like that little point of TX has a whole lot to offer. Also, from what I have read, it seems like just about everything big game wise is on a lottery, with the exception of specific zones.

Did you ever go up to any of those parks? Seems like Elephant Butte and the other one just south of it are about the nearest water, with the exception of some of the tanks there that I've heard about. Also, does the river ever hold much water?

Again, thanks for the info!

Matt
chsend22
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Due to damming and chronic droughts the Rio is consistently low unless there's a freak rain storm. A good portion of El Paso is in an ancient dried river bed, live on the east side if you can lol. I made it up into the training area a lot, saw the Oryx running around and coyote. Never went out to Elephant Butte, but it's the closest big body of water to El Paso, so almost everyone tries to get out there during the summer. I never got to hunt up in NM, but Alamogordo isn't far and it's already in mountains with elk crossing signs everywhere. I saw a herd of about 150-200 pronghorn right off of Hwy 54 in NM coming down the back side of the mountains towards Amarillo. I was on a pretty hard budget, E-5 with 5 kids paying off some debt while I was there so I didn't have a lot of income to drop on lottery tags. One of our senior NCO's took a decent turkey out in one of the public zones and said he saw some decent mulies.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby chsend22 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Nice, all good to know. I was wondering what that place up on the NM side of post was like. But no home, those lottery tags look crazy expensive! I think oryx is over $1600 for a non-res (to hunt off post). That's nuts. I was in AK before coming down to Benning, and even it wasn't that bad! I'm glad to hear there is some decent stuff around to get after, even if I'm gonna have to work a bit harder for the birds. Thanks!
chsend22
hunter

Return to Military Forum