Just Sounding off.

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Just Sounding off.

Postby OLD MISSALOT » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:28 pm

It's greate to live in a land that mabey has memory lapses, but does not forget. When My grandfather returned from france in 1918 he was greated as a hero. When my father came home from the pacific in 1945 he too returned to to a hero's welcome. But when My fathers cusin came home from korea no noticed or shook his hand. And when my wife's brother fell in vietnam the only one's to greet his coffin was his family. When I came home from overseas I had no one thankin me. After the first gulf war, People were at the airports wavin flags and cheerin our troops home (AS IT SHOULD BE) And when my son came home fron iraq he was cheered. It does my heart good to see things turn back to honoring those who serve. My Thanks to all those past who have given me my freedom and my thanks to those who still here the call :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you think like a duck you'll wind up in a pot!
OLD MISSALOT
hunter

Back At Ya

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:17 pm

OLD MISSALOT, I see no one has responded to your "sounding off". In light of this I feel compelled to open my big mouth.

First of all thank you for that posting and sounding off.

At the risk of my sounding presumptious, on behalf of about a million of my closest friends I'd like to say we haven't answered you because, like you and your fore fathers were I'm sure, we are humble in what we do, and do not seek accolades. We're just doing "our jobs".

I think I can speak for many when I say that it's difficult at best for us serving, current or past, to accept those most gracious accolades when we (I) am actually embarrased in accepting knowing we have brothers and sisters who have fallen on the field of battle and have given the ulitimate sacrifice. As well as for those thousands currently in medical facilities across this great nation of ours undergoing treatments for debilitating injuries. It is those Soldiers and their families who are the true great American heroes and deserve the accolades and more. Again, I would never be so presumptious as to try and speak on their behalf, but if they were able to say anything to you I'm sure it would be to thank you for your service, your support, your prayers and heart felt considerations.

I hope that I am saying this right. Although accolades are not sought, the absence of appreciation is indeed felt. A double edge sword if you will, and you hit it right on the head.

For me personally, thank you for sounding off. Thank you and your fore fathers before you that have so proudly served in order that generations of Americans to come can live the American dream of freedom, liberty and the American way.

Hooah!

V/r
A humble Soldier
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:59 pm

:dito:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby tarheel yankee » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:56 pm

I agree SGM, I was going to respond to this earleir but just couldn't put it into words. You said it perfectly. :thumbsup:
I lost 3 good friends, great Americans, and soldiers in one instance in Afghanistan on 31 October 2006 due to an IED. One was my Commander, one was the best (new) soldier in my platoon, and the other was an outstanding Engineer (who died while the MEDEVAC was enroute) who was attached to my platoon. I had a bracelet made with all three of their names on it, and I have worn it 24/7 since I got it out of the package. For the rest of my life, I will remember those guys and how I felt when I looked over the edge of the cliff and saw them lying there near the river.
Lord be with those soldiers and their families...Amen
Chris
U.S. Army, Infantry,.........RETIRED!!!
tarheel yankee
hunter

Postby armyguy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:06 pm

Ditto again SGM... Spoken like a true gentleman.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of those i've served with...friends...brothers and comrades in arms. Although i'm no longer serving, i'm still torn when the news of another deployment/rotation comes and my buddies leave their famlies behind and i'm here with mine. It not about the medals or awards, more of a sense of duty or calling. Something those outside our community have a hard time understanding. a simple nod of the head or a firm handshake goes a long way in a troopers heart and all who answered the call.

Respectfully,
armyguy
armyguy
hunter

Postby Arkduckhunter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Old Missalot

I was going to reply to your post as well but really could not put into words what I wanted to say. I was trying to think of something profound but drew a blank as I am not so good with words sometimes...so I am going to just say THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice, as well as the sacrifices that your family has made to this great nation through out it's great history.

Tarheel

I am sorry for you loss. I lost one of my plt members to an EFP Jul 14 2007 and had another buddy loose his right arm to an EFP on August 25 2007. Your brothers will not be forgotten.

"We few, We happy few, We Band of
Brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with
Me
Shall be my Brother."
William Shakespeare

Sincerely

Evan
Shoot em' in the Face Boys!!!
Arkduckhunter
hunter

Return to Military Forum