MWR and waterfowl hunting

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

MWR and waterfowl hunting

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:47 pm

I know that in the navy one would go to the MWR to get sporting gear , rent boats for fishing and such , is that what it's call in the other branches of service ? I wonder just how many have gear for waterfowl hunting , will you tell me about your base and what they have ? Does the state where your base is in have a Waterfowl Association and have they offered any help to the ADM (active duty military) on your base or in the state ? If a state waterfowler Association wanted to offer there help to ADM what kind of help would you say is needed ?
Here in Virginia we are working to get something to happen for the up coming season of 2008 - 2009 and any info I can get will be a big help for us to meet our goal . Thank You for your service and any info you give me .

:help: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby mgriffiths05 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 pm

sounds like a good idea, except the unit i'm at is comprised of 9 people, and of that 9 only myself duck hunts regularly....so i wouldn't know where to start or anything....MWR waterfowling would be cool though
KILL 'EM!!!!
mgriffiths05
hunter

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:23 pm

LEWDOG, at most Army installations it is called MWR also.

Here at Ft Lewis it's called North West Adventures (NWA). Same thing though. Rental boats and other items are available for rent. Hunting specific items, guns, waders, etc for hunting are not. I've never seen those type of items for rent anywhere.

I can't answer you regarding the association availability as I just got here myself a few months ago.

Ft lewis offers waterfowl hunting, but it's limited to training areas that aren't being used for training on that day. At best it's poor as everybody that doesn't have good places locally to go to, as most of us ADM's fall into this category, we all converge on these few locations in the marsh. It doesn't take long to wear out your welcome in a marsh.

I applaud what you are doing in VA. I think it's great!

Take care, thank you for your support.

mac
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:30 pm

LD,
I have been stationed in alot of places and most of the MWR facilities are outstanding in supporting the ADM in a variety of ways. NAS Corpus Christi had decoys and jon boats for rent but they were not the best and the people renting them didn't take care of them in the least. Its hard to believe that a few individuals would not take the time to return the equipment in the same condition it was issued.

one option that might work is for a licensed guide or outfitter to have a contract or agreement with MWR to provide hunting trips for a reduced price per gun 1 -2 days a week. This would be similiar to what is already inplace for alot of activities. Charter boats for instance.

Little Creek MWR rents Jon Boats to ADM who have qualified to operate a boat with a test that they provide. I bet they would spend some money on a few dozen decoys. Maybe there are some individuals on the DHC that would donate some "extra" decoys that are just laying around to a local MWR??? :yes:

NAS Oceana Natural resources dept used to have a few stationary blinds on the Dam Neck annex. it was on a reservation system. Not sure if they still have them available. I'm sure there are some other installations in the tide water where a few blinds could be erected if the idea was brought up.

I dont think that we will ever see the days of being able to check out a shotgun from MWR again except at the Skeet range.

Thanks for your support.

2005 Got some shooting in at one of LD's blinds!! Thanks Craig
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Good info but I have to hit on your picture first , That house that is just above you head is on my hit list this year . The owner had and has two piles of Corn a foot deep each , one pile is on his dock and the other is on the shore under a pine tree that has a duck blind tag nailed on it . :mad:

I plan to contact all of the MWR's this summer and find out what they will let VAWFA do for them , I'm hoping to get them to let us build some blinds or at least build some floating blinds that they could rent , instead of them having decoys I want them to refer the hunters to us so we can have the decoys waiting for there call . It would be nice for the MWR to have a place the hunters could store there own gear . Here at the start I just need a foot in the door , with that I can deal with more after the next coming season .
My support comes natural , It's the least one can do for our ADM's

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:27 am

LD, when I was stationed @ Yorktown NWS they wouldn't allow waterfowling, but the federal warden @ Cheatam Annex opened up their ponds for early goose ( after alot of pleading with him ). I think you may have a pretty good chance there. Nice ponds, alot of river frontage. Just an Idea

This pic was taken at Cheatem in 1999

U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby drake~slayer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 pm

In 1994 i was stationed on the USS Seattle. I volunteered To be the MWR officer (even tho i was enlisted. No one else wanted the job) on board. It was a pretty sweet gig. I got out of watch whenever we pulled into port. :thumbsup: . I was in charge of checking out all of the MWR gear. I.E. diving equipment, bycycles,football equipment golf clubs etc. Anyway, as the MWR officer on board it was my duty to recieve any and all shipments sent to the ship. In one of the shipments was a crate. When I opened the crate, to my surprise was a half dozen Mosburg 12 guage shotguns. Now i got all excited. I had to take them to the MAA (master at arms) office, Then check em into the Armory. i was pretty stoked until the XO decided that we had to send them back. She decided that she didnt want MWR to take the responsibilty of em. She thought that the crew wouldnt be safe enough with em. I was pretty pissed, and decided to take it up with the CO. The skipper didnt care either way but defered it back to the XO. Needless to say The shot guns went away. :mad: :sad:
Shoot 'em in the face.
drake~slayer
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm

It is called MWR in the USAF also. If yer lucky you will be at a base with a Rod and Gun Club. For some reason every time I inquire about one here at Ellsworth I never get an answer. Our MWR has NO hunting stuff. They do have Boats/Boating/Fishing stuff though. You can rent a boat and motor for $45 a weekend if you take their boating class.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby VA Wigeon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:10 pm

LD,

I hear Quantico has some nice blinds in thier hunting program. AP Hill has some ponds but I was told that some idiot there makes you wear blaze orange to duck hunt them?!?
To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the scariest thing a hunter can hear is "Hi, I am from DGIF and I am here to help."
VA Wigeon
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:58 pm

LEWDOG,
Great idea you have..... I don't thing you will get the bases to get on board because of the liability but you may get them you refer to you and then you can help steer people in the right direction.....

I don't know if you remember or not but about 4 years ago I was at school in VA and i came up to hunt with you..... we didn't kill much but i still remember the hunt well for the great hospitality you showed me!!! I thank you still to this day and my offer stands if you ever want to travel to hunt come see me. I'm about to transfer AGAIN and i'll be 20 mins north of Memphis this time right on the Mighty Mississippi river in the heart of duck country!!! I'd love to return your favor!!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Ducknuts » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:43 pm

Cherry Point Air Station has some blinds that I might scope out some this year. I've been in the Eastern North Carolina area for about 8 years know. The MWR sections down here have boats for rent. You would have to set up your own blind or something or some bulap. The blinds are open on Friday and Saturday so you can reserve them on Friday and come for a hunt on Saturday. 10 dollars for your base hunting.
I just love lots of quack in the bush!
Ducknuts
hunter

Return to Military Forum