Coin collecters

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Coin collecters

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:02 am

Just wondering if any of ya'll collect coins, I don't buy any unless i've PCS's from that base, most of the one's I have were given to me but today i'm pretty pumped I got coined by a one star today. Hell yeah :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 am

i have a few. never bought one though, they've always been given to me. i think my favorite was our group commander gave me one for going above and beyond something or other. its kind of funny that you mentioned the coins. i forgot totally about them even though i have one in my wallet :biggrin:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:12 pm

LaRedneck,

Good Topic,

Congrats on your new coin from the 1 Star :thumbsup:

I have a few, most of them were given to me from fellow Chief Petty Officer's and shipmates over the years. Each one has its own story and are keepsakes.

Never go to a CPO club without one$$$$$$ :cheers:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby k9horseluvr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:10 am

Never go to a CPO club without one$$$$$$

Isn't that the truth!!1 :yes:

I have a few I've acquired over the years. I've never bought one for myself though. Most were given to me by fellow Chiefs and the others from various people. I do not have alot but plan to have them as part of my shadow box when I retire. They all have some sort of meaning and story behind them.
K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Good stuff

Postby afman87 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Ya i have some good ones. I have one thats the presidents helicopter squadron. and some other pretty cool ones. I have never been coined though.
afman87
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I was lucky enough to get one from Gen Pace the summer before last. He came here to speak ...pretty awesome coin..
duckahlr
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 pm

i got one from the commadant of the marine corps while at al asad air base. that was pretty cool. i didnt do anything for it other than call attention on deck when he walked into my shop. he said "devil dog" how are you doing today? i said wonderful sir and he gave me the coin and spoke with us about our current ops and the good job we were doing. anyways thats the only coin i have.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Bunnyblaster » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I have two so far. I got one from my detachment after field training and another one they gave me during the Air Force commissioning ceremony. I was commissioned by the Chief of Naval Ops during the tri-service ceremony. Afterwards, my Grandfather, who served in the Navy in the late 50s, talked with him. At the end of the conversation he gave my Grandfather a coin. I think that was one of the most exciting days he has had for awile.
Bunnyblaster
hunter

Postby wildest5 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:11 am

I collect them and no I don't buy them either just the ones given to me. The most impressive two I have is one is from former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfield and the newest is Sec Def Gates. I'm still waiting for the Presidential one. By the way I'm a hydraulic mechanic on a V.I.P. acft.
wildest5
Newb

Postby killem » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 am

Hey guys this is an awesome Topic my father served a tour in IRAQ and when he came home he had like 8 coins that are pretty cool. I don't remember all of them but i do know he got one from a 1 star from TENN. and the one he talks about and likes the most is the one his Sgt. Major gave to him. Thats the most special one to him. My father retired just 6 months ago as a SSGT. after 27years. im really proud of him and what he had done but its also great at the same time he retired because now i can share the blind with him everyweekend.

All of you guys over seas keep up the good work and thanks alot....
killem
hunter

Postby woodie77 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 am

i only have 8 coins and that will be it for me as i got out back in January after 9 and a half years...my two favorite coins are both chief coins...one was given to me by the atlantic force master chief and the other was given to me by a master chief when i was djibouti, africa...it says desert chief on it and is pretty cool...kind of an honorary thing for helping him out while we were over there...they all have there own stories behind them and i have never bought one before either...they mean more when they are given to you IMO...
Ready to get wet and chase feathers
woodie77
hunter

Postby EJA » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:22 am

Awesome Topic. I have only bought one, a POW/MIA coin that was the one I carried @ all times. I was coined by a 1 Star while @ JRTC. Ahh wonderful Fort Polk.
Eric Carroll
Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet
Union Carpenter Local # 2012
EJA
hunter

Re: Coin collecters

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:41 am

This is an Awesome topic....I'd actually rather have coins than Awards. Coins show that someone saw you doing an act, that deserved praise. An Award just means you completed a field problem, deployment, or something special without screwing something up *too bad*. Case in Point...During my deployment in '04-'05, I received 3 ARCOMS, and one of those was supposed to be for valor, but the SFC that my partner and I saved his whole convoy's ass refused to write a sworn statement. I subsequently received another ARCOM for my end of tour award, when there was a guy that worked in a office the WHOLE YEAR, got a Bronze Star. :huh: As far as coins go, my highest is SEC of the Army Honorable Louis Caldera. I have (2) 4 Star, GEN Petraus (this deployment), and GEN Swartz, the USFK Cdr at the time. (3) 2 star division level, a 1 star Asst Div Cdr, a III Armored Corps CSM coin (pretty cool) and more Brigade and Battalion coins than I know what to do with. All of those took 14 years of service to accumulate. and NO, I wasn't on any kind of colorguard, or special detail. I just always got the crap worked out of me! :hammer:
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Return to Military Forum