Thinking about joining

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Postby lameduck » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:46 am

Well I think that I have made up my mind to try and go the officer route, then after three or so years take my shot at SF. I believe you have to reach Captain before you can lead a team, so I am going to put in my time and wait.
lameduck
hunter

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Be nice to the Marine some one needs to charge the beach after the Navy drops them off and the Idots in the Army are to smart to say no.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
Dogs Retrieves 120 ducks 1 goose
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby USMCDUCKS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:28 pm

NHD dont be hating cause the army is the only one who accepted you....

Lameduck

you will be happy with that decision but your not entirely true you can go be a Recon plt comander as a 1st Lt you dont have to pick up captain

DBF

Someone has to show them where to go
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 am

USMCDUCKS wrote:NHD dont be hating cause the army is the only one who accepted you....

No, no, no. I like sh!tting on a toilet, I joined the Navy.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby USMCDUCKS » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:15 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
USMCDUCKS wrote:NHD dont be hating cause the army is the only one who accepted you....

No, no, no. I like sh!tting on a toilet, I joined the Navy.
:lol: better than the army ill give you that
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Likewise to the Marines. :thumbsup:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
USMCDUCKS wrote:Military is a great choice especially with the economy doin what it is doin. i would say finish up your college and become an officer you will be much happier with that decision. you know what branch i recomend....if you want an easy job go AF if you like ***** go Army...***...navy like to work hard and do cool crap... Marines hahahhahaha lol jk for you guys

Thats kind of contradictory isn't it? You want him to finish college AND join the Marines? Isn't that a disqualifier?

I think the Corps is still one of the hardest branches to get in :thumbsup: If you got a GED you pretty much can forget even getting past the door at a recruiting station.

And I knew it was only a matter of time before the thi thread degressed into inter-service slams :no:
devildog28
hunter

Postby USMCDUCKS » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 pm

The big pissing contest :yes:
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

Postby marshstalker83 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 pm

:lol: haha
marshstalker83
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:13 am

devildog28 wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:
USMCDUCKS wrote:Military is a great choice especially with the economy doin what it is doin. i would say finish up your college and become an officer you will be much happier with that decision. you know what branch i recomend....if you want an easy job go AF if you like ***** go Army...***...navy like to work hard and do cool crap... Marines hahahhahaha lol jk for you guys

Thats kind of contradictory isn't it? You want him to finish college AND join the Marines? Isn't that a disqualifier?

I think the Corps is still one of the hardest branches to get in :thumbsup: If you got a GED you pretty much can forget even getting past the door at a recruiting station.

And I knew it was only a matter of time before the thi thread degressed into inter-service slams :no:

I don't want to get in a pissing contest, but I can tell you from experience, each branch of service has its own set of rules, and then, there's waivers which go to the CO which will depend on the individual CO of each group. Every branch gets a quota of GED's that they can fill. Some CO's just plain won't take them. Other limiting factors mean you can get in to one branch but not another. You can still get in the Marines with a 31 asvab, but the AF requires a 40. All the recruiters in my office worked together, and if I had someone I couldn't put in, I would gladly point him to an office where he/she could get in. IT all depends on where you fit. Air Force can take people with higher body fat, but not the low Asvab. Marines won't take anyone over 28. etc, although I did just read an article where a 40 year old joined the Army! with no prior experience, so who knows, stuff changes daily. We would get emails once a week or so saying we are looking for X this week. It could be anything, and it was usually a free for all of recruiters slamming these questionables on deck.
I joke all the time, but I would never say in honesty one branch is better then any other. I know I loved what I did, and I know 99% of other military guys I talk to say I am crazy and they'd never do it, so to each their own.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
devildog28 wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:
USMCDUCKS wrote:Military is a great choice especially with the economy doin what it is doin. i would say finish up your college and become an officer you will be much happier with that decision. you know what branch i recomend....if you want an easy job go AF if you like idiots go Army...gay...navy like to work hard and do cool crap... Marines hahahhahaha lol jk for you guys

I don't want to get in a pissing contest, but I can tell you from experience, each branch of service has its own set of rules, and then, there's waivers which go to the CO which will depend on the individual CO of each group. Every branch gets a quota of GED's that they can fill. Some CO's just plain won't take them. Other limiting factors mean you can get in to one branch but not another. You can still get in the Marines with a 31 asvab, but the AF requires a 40. All the recruiters in my office worked together, and if I had someone I couldn't put in, I would gladly point him to an office where he/she could get in. IT all depends on where you fit. Air Force can take people with higher body fat, but not the low Asvab. Marines won't take anyone over 28. etc, although I did just read an article where a 40 year old joined the Army! with no prior experience, so who knows, stuff changes daily. We would get emails once a week or so saying we are looking for X this week. It could be anything, and it was usually a free for all of recruiters slamming these questionables on deck.
I joke all the time, but I would never say in honesty one branch is better then any other. I know I loved what I did, and I know 99% of other military guys I talk to say I am crazy and they'd never do it, so to each their own.

You pretty much have to be a retard to make a 40 on the ASVAB :smile:
devildog28
hunter

Postby marshstalker83 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I think you get that for spelling your name correctly.
marshstalker83
hunter

Postby USMCDUCKS » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 am

I just had a recruit come through out here on PI he was so happy he got in cause the asvab kicked his ass he failed with a 15 the first attempt then got a 33 on his second. that kid was a ******* rock
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

Re:

Postby devildog28 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:52 pm

USMCDUCKS wrote:I just had a recruit come through out here on PI he was so happy he got in cause the asvab kicked his ass he failed with a 15 the first attempt then got a 33 on his second. that kid was a ****** rock

Yep he'll be a cook :yes:
devildog28
hunter

Re: Thinking about joining

Postby QUACK3XS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 pm

There will be no use of the F word in any shape or form. THANK YOU
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby Waldoo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23 pm

I left recruiting for the Army in '05. At that time they were fielding a program where you would take a practice ASVAB on the recruiter's computer. Then, with any phone line, they would pull up what jobs you qualified for that had vacancies and list specific options that were being offered with that job (ie. airborne, ranger, duty station of choice, cash bonus, etc). The recruiter could then reserve that job for you right in your living room. You then had so much time to take the real ASVAB and physical. Assuming you passed the physical and got at least the same score on the ASVAB you kept the contract. If you didn't pass or get as good a score the contract was void. There were other things as NOT lying to your recruiter about previous law violations, education level, etc.

So in short the recruiter can guarentee you the job right in your living room with mom and dad there or your spouse, assuming you continue to hold up to your part of the bargain.

If it was me, I would go in the Army as an E4 and get a nice cash bonus and whatever incentives I could. Then after my first enlistment I would go to OCS and become an officer. Officers get little to no incentives walking in off the street and a lot of guys, like myself, enjoy being enlisted. You can become and officer later, but it is extremely rare in the Active Duty Army for an officer to become and enlisted Soldier. Matter of fact, I don't personally know of it happening.

I might be able to help you decide. I know a little about all the services. Navy has to do with boats......Airforce has something to do with planes.....I seen a Marine commercial and apparantly they fight dragons and play chess......We don't fight dragons in the Army.

Good luck with whatever you choose. In all honesty I don't think you can go wrong with any services.
2013 - 2014
Turkey - 2
Dove - 37
Blue Wing - 117
Green Wing - 22
Redhead - 5
Shoveler - 8
Pintail - 8
Mallard - 1
Gadwall - 5
Ringneck - 1
Hooded Merganser - 1
Waldoo
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:59 am

40 is actually just below average. :oops: or so they say anyway. For you green wearing service members, remember an ASVAB score is different than an AFQT score, although it is the same test. There was a time where you could get in with a 25. That was pretty scary, a 33 is pretty scary. Although I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to wash dishes in the galley. :lol:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:16 pm

40 hu, well that makes me feel better one of my highest was a 63 so i no b dat dmb aftr all :grooving:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby FITZH2O » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:31 pm

When the Army can fight their way out of a wet paper sack then and only then will they be allowed to fight dragons.

:umm: :boxing: :lol: :nana: :hi:
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby westergreen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:40 am

hey dood im in the army and i love it. the only thing i dont like about it is i missed my first duck season since i was 4 years old do to being in iraq for a year but as far as mos you can go to selection from any mos. Im thinking of going my self but im not shure if i want to be commited for another 8 years. Im a combat engineer and i love every second of it. if you like blowing crap up it is the mos for you.
frag out
westergreen
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Simmer down westergreen, I was just joshin' ya. I actually worked with a good group of engineer doggies when I was in Fallujah. Task Force Dagger and they were from Germany. We did a lot of route clearance with them. We used to have a good time when we weren't getting blown up. :beer:
FITZ

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby westergreen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:28 am

iv seen the army fight out of a few bad spots personley. we kicked some @SS. The combat engineers do all the same stuff the marines do. i mean everything. Im actually in iraq right know. and we work with marines sometimes. we also recover marines sometimes.
frag out
westergreen
hunter

Postby USMCDUCKS » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm

hahahha you do konw marines isnt a mos and enginieer does not do what a grunt does in the marines regardless of service .i watched the army take contact and leave there terps behind to fend for them selves.
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Don't be mistaken wester. When I say "worked with" I meen Provide Security for. And the only similarity between the army and Marines is being stuck in the same country. Don't flatter yourself.
FITZ

FITZH2O
hunter

Postby USMCDUCKS » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:51 am

[

FITZH2O wrote:Don't be mistaken wester. When I say "worked with" I meen Provide Security for. And the only similarity between the army and Marines is being stuck in the same country. Don't flatter yourself.

I wasnt talkin to you i was talkin to westgreen when he said

westergreen wrote:The combat engineers do all the same stuff the marines do. i mean everything.
Semper Fi
Sgt Loeper
USMCDUCKS
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Military Forum