Thinking about joining

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Re: Thinking about joining

Postby waterfowl slammer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:54 am

I will tell you this. most guys that go straight officer school let it go straight to their head. they have no understanding of the troops they lead there for they are not respected by their men. The ones that start out at the bottom and go officer learn and are the best leaders we get. Thats my $0.02
waterfowl slammer
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Active Duty Marine here. Joining the military is a great choice to get started in your life but make sure to think about what you will be doing AFTER the service (4 or 20yrs later) SPEC OPS is going to be fast paced and hella fun but you will not be able to tell your wife/family most of what you're doing or where you are all of a sudden being sent to. Also remember that you will be at the needs of whatever branch you join so you might not get the base you want or be home as much as you want. I was an F18 Ordnance tech and then changed my job to Intelligence. I did so because unless I stayed in ordnance for 20 years, there wasn't many job opportunities afterwards. Intelligence will always be a highly sought after job skill. Make sure you sit down with your wife and families and discuss this before you make any decisions. Finish your degree and go in as an officer too. Better pay and quality of life as an officer. The enlisted don't get much until you reach e-6+ ranks. If you have any questions or need some no b.s. advice on how life is in the Corps, feel free to PM me.

Will
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby TrogDog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Just go Navy I mean come on We take the Marines everyhwere they go. We have all these IA's Working with the Army.( You Know we work to Much as it is.) The AirForce does not have Juck on my 4.5 Acres oF Flight Deck that I sling Steel from 24/7 any hwere and time. Yeah I think we work to much but it is fun. I have a buddy that just did the Blue to Green and Hates it wish he would have stayed in the navy. But what ever you do it will have you Mom and Pops very proud of you and Will make alot of people proud of you I hear it everyday from people I dont even know. You wil be lossing alot of freedom but it is all worth it in the end.

Will
TrogDog
hunter

Postby bassmanatcs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:04 am

Two words for you "Air Force"! Try out for "Combat Control" if you are into Special Forces. It has a very high washout ratio though. But, the Air Force has plenty of other good jobs for you. :thumbsup:
bassmanatcs
Newb

Postby GIjake » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm

I did 5 years enlisted in the Army as a Tanker on the Abrams and now I fly Apaches. I never expected to be in the Army past my first contract and now I can't see myself doing anything else. (This applies to anyone wanting to join) If you want to be in the fight, go Army, pick your job get Airborne, Air Assault and all the schools you want. If you want something technical that has skills that can be used back in the real world go AF or Navy. When I joined I didnt want to support the fight I wanted to be in the fight and I got my fill of it. Did 15 months in Iraq and loved it.
GIjake
hunter

Previous

Return to Military Forum