What to send?

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

What to send?

Postby lameduck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:13 am

My wife and I just signed up for a program where you send things to an assigned service men at war. We plan on sending a box of stuff about twice a week and I would like some suggestions on what to send. We sent off a box a few days ago with some stuff that was recommended by the organization, but I would like to send some things that he might really need, or want. If you all could give me some suggestions that would be great! I also need to know where to find sand scarfs, it was recommended but I have no clue where to start on that one. Thanks for the help and all of you who have served or are serving!
lameduck
hunter

Re: What to send?

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:28 am

Lameduck,
First off, let me THANK you and your wife for volunteering you items and your time to the deployed Service Members. If you are sending Items to the same person each time, you could probably just send ONE of the standard postage boxes a month. Reason being (and I speak from personal experience) that all of that stuff can add up quick if you are sending out a box every week. Another reason is that if a guy or gal is trying to stockpile some thing and has to move, they pretty much have to throw all of it away and start all over (personal experience x's 3 this deployment alone). Wet Wipes are ALWAYS a good choice. try and get the antibacterial scented ones if possible. for whatever reason, the "unscented" ones stink when they come in contact wit a warm climate. Also try and stay away from candy now that the weather is once again getting warmer. it will melt and stick to anything/everything in the box. Once again if you are sending to a specific person, find out what kind of magazines they like and send whatever comparable you have laying around. They don't have to be brand new, they will get worn out in a month or so anyway! In this environment hand sanitizer is good. As I think of more, I'll keep updating, or IMing you. once again, THANK YOU for helping to make our lives easier.
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby lameduck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:22 pm

This is what we sent:

Wet Wipes
Soft Toilet paper
Log of Copenhagen
Hand held poker game for multiple players
water guns (the organization said they are in high demand)
a bunch of envelopes pre stamped
and a lot more things I can not remember

Thanks for the help so far. And let me know what else is helpful, and it is just to one person. I also have a ton of waterfowl, cabelas, and other outdoor mags, if anyone knows someone who might want them send me the address and I will get them on the way.
lameduck
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Lameduck,
ALSO, If you are sending out anything with your personal address on it(minus the shipping box of course) try and tear it off, or mark it in such a way that it can't be read. over here, people indiscriminately throw things away without practicing OPSEC (basically they just say screw it and throw you home address away and when the uknown insurgents we hire to do work on the FOB get it they can pay you a visit).
looks like to me you are doing a wonderful job with sending out stuff people NEED versus WANT. THANKS again for making life easier on those "in harms way".
Criss
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:52 am

Lameduck, dito to what 1fowlHNTR said. He has great insight.

You and your wife are to be commended. On behalf of all of us over here, thank you.

Just a note, letters from here are mailed with no postage necessary. So please save your money on the pre-stamped envelopes. The envelopes can still come in handy though.

In addition to the things 1fowlHNTR suggested, here's some of the things I've asked my wife to send me, so I think I can assume others would need:
* Most any personal hygiene for males and females is great. We are always running out of that. Bath soaps, hair shampoo, under arm deoderant, razors, etc. There is plenty in the local PX's for us to buy, but our lower ranking Soldiers making less money could use all the help we can give them so they don' thave to spend their own money in a PX.
* Foot powder is always good
* Sun block (we have a lot of sun here)
* Small packets of flavoring you add to water. We drink a lot of water here. Sometimes mixing in the flavoring makes it a little better. The packets for the one quart size containers is perfect.
* I asked my wife for low cal snacks (that won' t melt). Nuts, trail mix, stuff like that.

That's about all I've asked for. Most everything else is provided for us here.

In closing, again thank you for keeping us in your minds and prayers.

Maybe someday we'll all be home. Until then, we'll do all we can to ensure you're safe in yours!

Take care
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby lameduck » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info. too bad we already sent out the postage but maybe he can send it home and let his family use it. If anyone on here is out fighting for us and needs something shoot me a PM and I will do my best to get it on the way. My wife and I are both in college enjoying the freedoms you are fighting for so do not be shy if you need something. I am about to toss a bunch of hunting mags. and some cabelas catalogs if anyone would like them. I will let you know that my wife will fill he box with goodies along with the mags. The last box I shipped some benefiber and copenhagen... God knows where I would be without those two products.
lameduck
hunter

Postby milton.kelley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:17 am

Most of the guys in my unit loved the beef jerky, Gatorade powder, magazines. It's best to ask after the first package. Muscleheads like supplements, Smokers want stateside cigarettes, Dippers want stateside Cope. Thanks for sending something out. It can really turn someone's day around.
milton.kelley
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Batteries, lots and lots of batteries
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ajgall1055 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:52 pm

When I was deployed last year the stuff i wanted in packages most was:

Q-Tips--the dust storms and grime and sweat and all other manner of stuff ends up in the ears
Lens wipes-- I wear Glasses and the wipes that come wioth the cleaner on them helped to keep my glasses and dust googles clean
magazines-- There isn't a huge selection over there and i especially had a hard time finding outdoor magazines.
Batteries
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby tcswoodgoods » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Having just got back, I'll tell you that local (Afghan cigarettes) are banned, so US smokes are good (I don't smoke cigs, but do smoke a pipe). For me I truly enjoyed nuts (almonds, pistachios, etc...Suntree cinnamon almonds are awesome), sunflower seeds (flavored) and Crystal Light drink flavoring (individual packages). There is bottled water everywhere we go over there, but plain water gets old quick!! Also, the hand sanitizer and baby wipes are very good...you'd be surprised how clean a baby wipe bath makes you feel.

I truly thank you and your wife for taking the time to say thanks by sending our men and women care packages...it really does make a difference. If you're interested in making a big difference, contact my sister (Eileen Storck) at Indian River State College in Ft. Pierce, FL. She runs a pay it forward campaign that is awesome...they sent us about 14 care packages over the holidays and it was a huge morale boost to over 100 Airmen and Soldiers!

Thanks again for the support. Proudly serving, Maj TC Hoot, USAF
tcswoodgoods
hunter

Postby CountryboyNC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:21 am

Hey, everything those guys said is great, but one thing that wasnt mentioned that i know the guys with me love is a football, we are always looking for something to entertain us in our down time, and you would be surprised how well an old fashion game of catch does. But once again thank you for supporting us and kill a few birds for us that are gonna miss this season and take lots of pictures!!! Justin..... U.S. Army Infantry
Livin' Life to it's Fullest...
CountryboyNC
hunter

Return to Military Forum