Couple Questions For You Guys

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Couple Questions For You Guys

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:23 pm

I got a couple questions for you guys. First off what are the regs on firearms on base? I was wanting to get my buddy a pistol for boot camp graduation and don't know if he can have it on base or not. In Charleston (where he'll be stationed after boot) he has some relatives he can leave it at, but when he moves from there I didn't know if he could have it or not. That leads me to my next question. If I don't get that, what would you guys like to get for graduation? I was looking at under 500 or so, probably less if it's not a pistol because I can put a pistol in lay away and pay it off. :lol3:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Couple Questions For You Guys

Postby QUACK3XS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:10 am

Every base has different regs....but most would require him to leave it in the Armory. This can be a hassle. I'm assuming he's single & living in the barracks, so I would say find another gift until he lives "Off Base/Post".
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:36 pm

It's more of a hassle to check it out once you get in in the armory. The only time you can check it out is when the armor is there, which means if he's off during the weekend etc. he aint getting it checked out! :rolleyes:
devildog28
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:50 pm

I would agree form what everyone has said. I have experienced dealing with having your personal weps in the unit armory. It is such a pain to check in and check out, because you have to do it on their time, not yours. If no one was maning the armory when you got back you couldn't bring the gun back on base.
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 pm

It is hard to find bases now that will actually let you check weapons into the armory. The ones that do....like everyone has said, it is a pain in the rearend to get it out.

K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Postby marshstalker83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Just like everyone else said he can have it but will have to keep it in the arms room. If armor doesn't wanna come in on the weekend he can't use it. I actually keep a couple of my soldiers' weapons at my house so they can use them when they want.
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period. -Ted Nugent
marshstalker83
hunter

Postby dgordo01 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 am

First off, your a great friend! Regs in any military base will require the weapon to be registered and placed in the weapons vault. Coordination will need to be made to draw/turn in the weapon. BIG PAIN.

My idea: give him 25 bucks with the weapon and tell him to get a small storage unit just outside base. During my active days, I stored all my weapons and hunting supplies in a small storage unit and it was accesible any time. It costs about 25 bucks a month, but if your an outdoorsman, Its WELL worth it!!
Whak em, stack em, smack em
Good Luck and Be Safe!!
dgordo01
hunter

Postby brasmunky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 pm

i dont know what kind of bases you guys have been at but every Air Force base i have ever been to stores personal firearms in the same armory as the cops. we have 24 hour access 365 days a year. it only takes about 5 minutes to get your guns and your on your way.
brasmunky
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 am

Speaking from experience....as a Navy Cop.....you will not store weapons in the base police armory on a Naval Installation. Wish it were different but it isn't. You might find the one or two exceptions to the policy but...

K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Postby BobT » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:07 am

I can't speak for the base armories, but we stored quite a few personal weapons on board the ships I was stationed on. We kept them in the armory in a separate safe from the issue weapons. All we required to bring them on board was permission from the chain of command with the C.O. having bottom line authority. You were required to report them on the quarterdeck when you brought them aboard and have the duty Gunners Mate to check them in / out. I retired in '96 so I don't know how the policy has changed since 9-11 but I expect it may be more difficult now. When we were in port I always kept mine off base.

Bob
It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!
BobT
Newb

Postby duck slayR » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:27 pm

the best bet is to find a range off base and see if they might have the space for him to store it like everyone has said its a pain in the tail checking it in and out of the base armory!
here they come boys start callin'..................wait....SHOOT it's just seagulls!
duck slayR
Suzie Spoonbill Slayer

Return to Military Forum