New to this game

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

New to this game

Postby duckhunter82 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:36 am

This spring is going to kick off the start of yet another obsession, I can see it coming. I have never been turkey hunting before, but I am very anxious to go. I have a slate call that I have been playing with and even bought a mouth call, but that is kind of tough to get the hang of. So I was just wondering if anyone would have some advice, tips, tricks, tactics, or anything they would like to share with a newbie. I am going at this blind because I don't know anyone that turkey hunts, so I don't have anyone to help me out or learn from. Again, any advice from locating birds, to calling, to what shot to use, would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be a sponge over the next couple months soaking up anything I can get. Thanks.
Light travels faster than sound. That’s why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
duckhunter82
hunter

Re: New to this game

Postby goosetalker18 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:27 pm

The first thing I am wondering is are you going to be hunting private or public land? If you are hunting private land it will be easier to find birds. You wont have to worry about other hunters competing against you. Regard less of where your hunting just spend time out in the woods. The more time you spend the better you will do. You will find the routes the birds travel and what time of the year they are using them. Go out and scout a lot before the season that is the number one thing you can do. You want to go out and put the birds to bed as it is called or roosting them. When I go out on opening morning I can tell you trees the birds are in therefore making it easier to get set up on them. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
goosetalker18
hunter

Postby goosetalker18 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm

goosetalker18
hunter

Postby duckhunter82 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:08 am

Thanks for the help, and the videos. The bad part is I will be hunting public land. I have found a big flock of about 20 birds, but they are on private property. I am going to try and find out who owns it this weekend and try to get permission to hunt.
Light travels faster than sound. That’s why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
duckhunter82
hunter

Postby goosetalker18 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Yes public land will make the game a little more interesting. The big problem with public land is that people want to go out before the season and call to the birds. This makes them call shy by the time the season starts which is a pain. If you don't have a jake and hen turkey decoy I would go out and invest in a pair.
goosetalker18
hunter

Postby jacob1996 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

each call has its own unique purpose....Paddle style Box Call: not the best for purrs cutts and clucks but when it comes to high
Paddle style Box Call:for producing high pitched wind piercing,clean yelps-the box call is the way to go....Friction calls(slate,glass,copper,aluminum,crystal): the best for purrs,cutts and clucks in my opinion if you know how to use them,they arent very loud but are my favorite to use and are relatively easy to learn....Diaphram: these are probably the hardest to master but are good all around calls and require now hands,all you really need to know is how to cluck and yelp,i dont really use my diaphrams much but they are a must for solo hunts....if you can try to locate some birds or at least find some sign around the area you will be hunting that would be good,at best if you find where the birds are roosting set up the evenin before your mornin hunt within sight of where you thing they will be flying up to the roost from,there is a sayin "roostin is roastin", i havent got many chances to try this trick much but on 1 occasion it did work...if you can get permission to hunt those birds,that is a good way to do it,i have found a good flock that i am hoping i will be able to hunt this season...if you find out where the birds are flyin up to roost at(usually a field or clearing) your chances are that the birds will fly down into the same general area the next morning.....if you have birds within eyesight and you think that they can hear your call(keep in mind that turkeys can hear soft purrs from 100 yards away) hammer out several yelps and see if the bird acts aggressive towards the call or hope for some shock gobbles..if he is comin closer and acts aggressive,throw in some more yelps with some clucks and a few cuttin sequences,purrs,whatever you think is gonna help..if the bird starts struttin back and forth and isnt sayin anything,and isnt comin closer,whats goin through his mind is"im too lazy to come over there ,you come over here to me"....if you have a decoy out,generally if you just shut-up he will get flustered and finally come in...at best....since you are hunting educated birds probably, that is tuff,and i know that for a fact,all you can do is hope you can find a bird that is lovesick and call crazy.....if you have any more Q's pm me and i will load you down with anything you want to know,good luck on killin a big Ol' tom this season!!
-Jake
-"aint no party like a duck hunting party cause a duck hunting party dont stop!"-
-Boykin Spaniels RULE!!!-
jacob1996
hunter

Postby killerv » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 am

Patience will kill you more turkeys than anything. If you can just setup where you know the birds will be, a clearing or field you are seeing them on, roads you see strut sign in, etc. That's all you have to do to kill a turkey. I am a huge believer in light calling. I don't call alot. I usually wait at least 30 minutes between some light calling sequences. When he does respond to your calling, he is letting you know that he knows you are there. 9 times out of 10, he will come check it out. It might be right away, it might be 3 hours from then, but he will come, he's thinking with his pecker this time of year. I have also quit trying to get a shock gobble at daylight, I let the woods wake up on their own, no need to force things and let others hunters know where you are. He'll gobble when he's ready. Be patient, a lot of hunters get up and move having not heard a gobble, but in reality, one has been easing their way the entire time, just being quiet. There are a lot of reasons a bird may not gobble so if they don't, don't let it discourage you. If there are a ton of hens around, a bird doesn't have much reason to gobble. If there are a ton or predators around, birds learn not to gobble as much. A lot of your younger birds usually will not gobble if there is another sho'nuff dominant bird around. They don't want their butt kicked. A dominant bird may not gobble either, I've seen groups of jakes beat up on one. I've killed a lot of birds mid morning and a lot in the afternoons. I am a true believer that if you can get a bird to gobble to you in the afternoon while on the ground, he is more than likely gonna die.

Just get you a good little slate call and get good with it, just some clucks, yelps, purring. the mouth call will come with time. I always have a mouth call in. Its nice to have when you feel the bird is getting in range but you don't know exactly where he is yet and want ready being down on the gun. I'll usually yelp a little if I feel is is having a hard time finding me but when I know he has seen the decoy, I stop calling all together.

Of course, I am speaking of my experience with easterns in Ga so maybe some of this will help and some will not.

Here's a bird I killed one afternoon a few years ago. Sat down by a tree at 1:40pm, bird came in at 4pm, never gobbled, saw the decoy and that was the end of that. Never heard a bird gobble that entire afternoon. long boring sit but worth it for that few moments of fun.

killerv
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:01 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum