custom wingbones

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

custom wingbones

Postby cloaca » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 pm

With it being sort of a down time between seasons, I thought I would share my latest batch of winbones that I made. The two on the left were donated to banquets. The one on the right was for a buddy of mine and the Hawkeye call I am keeping for myself! Can't wait for this snow to melt. Less than 2 months til season!

cloaca
Newb

Re: custom wingbones

Postby goosetalker18 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm

That is sweet. How do I make them?
goosetalker18
hunter

Postby Wood Ducky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Awesome :drool: :drool: :drool:
2 Mallards 1 Black duck 1 Canvasback
4 Hooded Mergansers 13 Buffleheads
1 Common Golden Eye 1 Longtail
2 Green wing teal 2 Surf scoters
3 wood ducks 1 Shoveler
14 canada geese
1 Band
Wood Ducky
hunter

Postby cloaca » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Goosetalker,

Take the 3 bones out of a turkey's wing. Remove all feathers/ meat. Saw just the ends off and clean out the marrow. Adjust the ends of the bones so they fit inside of each other going from the smallest bone to the largest. Seal the joints with epoxy and it is ready to call. Wild or storebought turkeys can be used. Wild turkey wings sound better and henbones are supposed to be the best bones to use. But it is all up to your personal preference.

That is the short version. But really, you can find quite a few tutorals with how to pictures on a few different websites. They are definitely a distinct sounding call that most other hunters do not use. Let me know if you have any other questions. Here are my first three wrapped calls that I ever tried. These were made in 08'.

Here is another group of four that I put together in 09. The one has a deer antler as a bell (last section).

cloaca
Newb

Postby goosetalker18 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks alot for the advice I am going to try this after I harvest my bird this year. I am also wondering if you use a special paint on them or just regular paint?
goosetalker18
hunter

Postby cloaca » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Actually none of my calls have paint on them. The black lettering/designs are done with a marker that I got at Hobby Lobby. I have heard Sharpies work too but I have not tried them. I do know certain inks will run or bleed when covered with a finish. All of the color on my calls come from thread being wrapped. There are guys who use paints to create pictures. I think they use acrylics. I have never had to worry about that b/c I am not that talented to even think about painting. I'll stick to this for now!
cloaca
Newb

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Your welcome!

Hey guys...8-12 lb. wild goose wings work AWESOME for wingbone calls!!! higher pitched than a gobblers wing and sound more like a real hen!! :thumbsup: :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum