How much movement is too much?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

How much movement is too much?

Postby WillWade4Ducks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 am

Question #1
Specifically, can I slowly adjust my shotgun or bring it up if the bird is about 50-60 yards away without getting skunked?
I'll have a mask and my shotgun is full camo...so that should help. I don't think that I can hold my shotgun up for 30mins to an hour for the turkey to get into range. I don't want to use a bipod if I don't have to. Of course I can rest it on my knee.

#2 Also, can a turkey see you moving a box call from 50-60 yards?

Thanks for the input.
WillWade4Ducks
hunter

Re: How much movement is too much?

Postby goosetalker18 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

To answer question number one I would say that if you are pulling up your shotgun that is to much movement. If you have to do this I would make sure the bird was behind something and couldnt see you first. Adjusting to get on a bird not a big deal to me. I wait till hes behind a tree or I make a fast move and smoke him as soon as the bead crosses his head. A turkey can not see you working a box call at 50 or 60 yards.
goosetalker18
hunter

Re: How much movement is too much?

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:13 am

I make slow adjustments as they move or walk behind cover. Get ready for pain though. I had one gobbling to me and when he got to where he thought he should see other turkeys he stopped and gobbled to me for what seemed like 2 hours. My back was hurting, legs were asleep, and general discomfort of not moving while sitting up against a tree.

I have had luck with starting a bunch of clucks and then slowly but steadly moving the gun on them. I think they are confused by all the slow movement and the turkey sounds. Don't get me wrong.....they get really nervous but don't bold away.

It will be like any other hunting......sometimes you will think, " how did I get away with all that" and the next time "what did I do?"
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum