Canyon Birds-Colorado

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Canyon Birds-Colorado

Postby Bano11 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:55 pm

i hunted a few toms this past weekend that were roosted on the rim of a canyon, while i was down in the bottom. they gobbled well until fly down, and then headed away from the canyon. unfortunately the land that they were on is private, im working on getting permission to hunt it. in the meantime, anyone think that a turkey would pitch off the roost and fly all the way down into the canyon? i've seen them fly off the roost down the side of a huge hill while hunting in upstate NY, i didnt think that this would be much different. there was sign down in the bottom, just not very fresh.
Bano11
hunter

Re: Canyon Birds-Colorado

Postby phutch30 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:36 pm

How far away are we talking couple hundred yards or miles? Short answer is yes they will. There is no never with turkeys. Find an opening where they can see your dcoys and get thier attention. You might get one to pitch down off the rim. Ive had turkeys fly across large rivers and a couple times in PA ive had them fly from one mountian to the one Im on (3/4 mile or more)and land almost at my feet.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bano11 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm

yea thats what i was thinking. i can get pretty close to them, i measured it out on google earth, with the change in elevation its only about 250 yards, linearly its no more than 75 (its a pretty steep canon wall).
Bano11
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 pm

That shouldnt be that much of a problem unless they have hens. One thing you could do is get there real early and make the first calls before any hens start. Sometimes that will get a tom to drop down early.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bano11 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 pm

thanks, i'll keep that in mind. hopefully though i wont even have to do that and get permission to hunt the private land! i'll keep a posted
Bano11
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum