turkey calls for a newb

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

turkey calls for a newb

Postby daffy... » Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 pm

went on my first hunt yesterday... the season opened saturday.

buddy of mine showed me the ropes and im kinda hooked. now i want some of my own gear so i can get out and get some experience of my own.

from what i understand most like the diaphram calls but is diffacult to get use to. should i just work at that now or should i start with a box call or disk

also what is a decent hen decoy to consider while im over buying a call
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Re: turkey calls for a newb

Postby meathead » Thu May 06, 2010 6:13 am

mouth calls are cheap but tricky - get one or two and practice for a while in the car while you drive and whatnot...but for this season if it were me I'd just grab a box call or two. Maybe a friction call so you can cut etc. and a push button like the quaker boy easy yelper. Slate or glass calls are fairly easy to get the hang of too if you'd rather go that way.

There are a million decoys out there, and all of them look like turkey. I'd base it on what you are looking for/where you'll be hunting and just decide if you want somethign that packs down vs. a foam body etc. I have the cabelas collapsibles...they are pretty bottom of the line. Last time out I had a jake attack my jake decoy - it folded right up entire body cavity collapsed - and he just kept on pecking at it...it don't take much to fool 'em.
meathead
hunter

Postby cjg » Sat May 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Get yourself a push button box call and forget about the decoy. You don't need all the fancy calls, if you can do 3 or 4 good yelps with the push button box, you're all set. It's more important to know when to call than any thing else. Scout and find birds that everyone hasn't already been calling to, I'd rather find 1 good tom in the woods than ten in a field everyone has been watching. Remember when you're calling, less is more. If he's with hens you're not going to call him away from them anyway. Don't try to get to close before you set up on him or you'll spook him. The bird I got the other day came nearly 200yds through the woods right to me and I only called 4 times to him. If it's going to happen it will, if it's not, nothing you do will work. Some times if they are with hens you just have to be patient and wait them out, eventually he will finish with the hens and may come back looking for you if you haven't spooked him. The best camo is "DON'T MOVE" if you can see them, they can see you better.
cjg
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Sun May 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Push Button calls work great and are probably the easiest to use. They're great for finishing birds off with, since its hard to mess up. If you want something with more volume, I also like a box call. I think a Box Call is easy enough to learn.

Mouth calls have a place to, like when its too wet outside for friction calls. They took me a while to get the hang of, and although I still prefer friction calls, they can be useful.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

I will have to disagree on the "push button" calls...I have never heard one that sounded realitively decent. Box calls are good but if your area is like here everyone under the sun uses one so the turkeys shy away from the clackity clack yelps from them by about week two. Most of us use a combination of a slate and diaphram. Aluminum "slate" calls can be used very quietly along with turning up the volume if need be.

Also remember anything that need chaulk has to stay 100% dry or you will be dead in the water. They sell plenty of "watrerproof" slate calls they sound "decent" when wet but decent is better than nothing. Diaphram calls are the all around best but take time as already stated to learn. Buy a few and start practicing yesterday.....

Good luck and you are now officially hooked on another "hobby".... :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum