Best Turkey Hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Best Turkey Hunting

Postby Champney » Wed May 12, 2010 4:33 pm

wondering what the best state is for spring turkeys? im planning a 3 day trip somewere next spring and wanted to know the best state with big birds and big numbers of them. thinking maybe alabama.
Champney
hunter

Re: Best Turkey Hunting

Postby duxrus » Wed May 12, 2010 6:36 pm

All depends....what do you want easterns, merriams, rios ? I have hunted here and there but personally wouldn't put AL anywhere close to the top of my list. I am sure there are great places in that state but we never apparently hit one. Yes, we harvested birds but have seen W-A-Y better states. You also said "BIG".......MO has larger birds on average than southern states. We have killed plenty in the 20-25 lb range there with paintbrush beards. Easterns are also the larger of the types.

If you are looking at mainly numbers of birds and wanting to tag more than one I would head to TX or OK for Rios. You can shoot multiple birds a day and depending on the outfitter pay for a third ot fourth bird option.

Your wants are a hard combo......ALOT and BIG. I would opt for the ALOT being only a 3 day trip. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby kdanford » Thu May 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Champney,
I would have to agree with Brian. If you are interested in lots of Turkeys you would be hard pressed to beat Texas. I live here and there are plenty of birds throughout many regions with the best hunting in the Hill Country. Look for Guides that hunt Menard, Sutton, Schleicler counties or Ozona area. I have hunted throughout the Hill country and there are plenty of birds. Also some decent ranches with good populations in South Texas as well. If you decide to head this way give me a holler and I can help with more specific recommendations.
kdanford
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Fri May 14, 2010 12:29 am

missouri has alot of birds in the 23-25 pound range even some that press 30 pounds. I personally have killed quite a few with 1.5" spurs and even killed one that had 1.75" spurs and know guys who have shot 2" spurs on birds also have shot birds with multiple beards and a few that were 12" long. So from hunting a few other states I would rank us number one in numbers per square mile and also size of birds. If you do come to missouri come the second week of season so you can shoot one bird per day! Good luck to you where ever you decide to go.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 pm

duxrus wrote:All depends....what do you want easterns, merriams, rios ? I have hunted here and there but personally wouldn't put AL anywhere close to the top of my list. I am sure there are great places in that state but we never apparently hit one. Yes, we harvested birds but have seen W-A-Y better states. You also said "BIG".......MO has larger birds on average than southern states. We have killed plenty in the 20-25 lb range there with paintbrush beards. Easterns are also the larger of the types.

If you are looking at mainly numbers of birds and wanting to tag more than one I would head to TX or OK for Rios. You can shoot multiple birds a day and depending on the outfitter pay for a third ot fourth bird option.

Your wants are a hard combo......ALOT and BIG. I would opt for the ALOT being only a 3 day trip. :thumbsup:

Rio's are also bit easier to call in, which would be another reason to go to Oklahoma or Texas.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri May 14, 2010 7:15 pm

I am still looking for "easy" rios or merriams....apparently we have hit all the educated birds during our travels...haha :no:
We always have heard and read about their gobbling from dawn til dusk also....still waiting to witness that too... :huh:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Champney » Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 pm

thanks for the advice. ive been getting my 2 toms that are over 20lbs here in vt every year. its just in the past couple years if theres mutiple toms in a feild there will be 4-5 hunters in that feild the next morning. and now the hens already are sitting on there nest and toms arent talking at all. it even snowed a week into are season!(started may 1st). too many hunters for the amount of toms here.
ill start to look around. when i say big im meaning over 20lbs and big numbers as in 4 toms to a roost.
Champney
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sat May 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Big roosts usually means rios or merriams.....I have never seen easterns roost in numbers over maybe 3 gobblers together after the opener and they spread out. Now those western birds usually have less roosting opportunities forcing them to bunch up....and they also tend to stay in larger flocks up into the season. I watched 30+ on roost a few weeks ago (rios) with atleast 6 mature toms in the flock from the ones i could make out.....

Back to size....you are stuck with easterns on that. Most of the others barely make 17-20 pounds in most cases. I would jump at numbers way before size came into play. I have a 24, 24.5, 25, and a 27 pounder (all easterns) but would trade every one of them for multiple white tipped merriams or the golden rumped rios...all except the 25 lb one sporting 5 beards and 1.25" spurs. :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun May 16, 2010 11:50 am

any suggestions on guides in texas. dont want to spend alot. i know some of them provide logging but not guides which would be good. i also read that your allowed to shoot 4?
Champney
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 pm

I would talk to The Waterfowler over on the taxidermy forum. He has been there and done that. He posted up killing his 4 on the first day of his trip there this season.... :eek: I myself still have TX on my to do list because their season coinsides with our Tennessee dates and I can't give up home field advantage. I would guess most are around 600-800 for two birds with additional birds costing atleast another 100 each....
duxrus
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Things change from year to year. I like Kansas and MoMo, but the past few years it's been Nebraska for me in a landslide :thumbsup:

Yes, these prairie states can be loaded with Terrible Twos, but this past trip, 3 of our 6 birds were over 21 lbs :smile:

A few bad winters could always change that, but I hope not.....
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby kyhunter11 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 pm

If your looking for big birds western ky has some nice birds. The last two birds ive killed here was 24-28lbs and one had 11.5" beard and the other had a even 12 and 1.5'' and 13/8" spurs two nice birds have seen bigger ones killed here. But there is a 2 bird limit and can only kill 1 a day.
kyhunter11
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum