Barrel Length?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Barrel Length?

Postby Wings and Waters » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:55 pm

I have always hunting Turkey with a 24" barrel. I was looking for and found a new gun for next season, however, it is only offered in a 26" barrel. Last year the gun was offered in a Turkey specific model, with a 24" barrel. Now that I am getting ready to purchase it, I only see a 26" option for this year. Is there any significant difference in a 24" and 26" barrel, other than walking through the brush?
Wings and Waters
hunter

Re: Barrel Length?

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 am

Patterns and velocity tend to improve with a longer barrel. Barrels in the 26 and 28 inch range on average tend to produce the tightest patterns when paired with the correct choke and shell combo..

All in all it totally depends what type of performance you are looking for.. A 24 inch barrel with today's incredible loads and chokes would prove to be more than adequate. The 26 inch barrel may give slightly better patterns, so really the choice is yours.. With the gun slung over your shoulder the 2 inch difference in handiness should not be noticeable but the difference between 21 and 26 is..

What gun are you considering?
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:20 pm

On a chrono the velocity difference is negligable, so that isn't even an issue. The pattern isn't either since you can spend money on a great choke like Indian Creek and get a superior pattern. I like short barrels for turkey hunting cause they don't hang up on the crush. The woods here haven't seen fire in 50 years so they are really overgrown. With the shorter barrel it is easier for me to make small adjustments to get on a bird without having to try and swing through 20 vines. If it will be a multipurpose gun then the longer barrel makes it easier to swing while wingshooting. Hell, the best turkey gun I ever owned was a 20 ga Remington 870 youth model with a 21" barrel I bought from a pawnshop for $50. I ended up selling it for $225 bucks a year down the road. Wish I still had it :(
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby rms516 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:42 am

Go with 26" your pattern will show you why this is true. As for walking through brush, make the sling 2" longer and walk as if you had a 24" barrel..........

Anyway if you hunt in a popup or any blind for example you may want a shorter barrel for that reason, as always pattern your gun to see what your max range will be then fiddle with choke/load combo untill you max out.

Good luck
rms516
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:On a chrono the velocity difference is negligable, so that isn't even an issue. The pattern isn't either since you can spend money on a great choke like Indian Creek and get a superior pattern. I like short barrels for turkey hunting cause they don't hang up on the crush. The woods here haven't seen fire in 50 years so they are really overgrown. With the shorter barrel it is easier for me to make small adjustments to get on a bird without having to try and swing through 20 vines. If it will be a multipurpose gun then the longer barrel makes it easier to swing while wingshooting. Hell, the best turkey gun I ever owned was a 20 ga Remington 870 youth model with a 21" barrel I bought from a pawnshop for $50. I ended up selling it for $225 bucks a year down the road. Wish I still had it :(

I second this, barrel length has zero to do with pattern or velocity. Barrel length affects the weight and swing of the gun and sight plain. Because you dont swing a gun on a turkey, the barrel tends to be shorter. Clay shooters and bird hunters prefer a longer barrel to smooth out the swing and to add weight to the gun. My son's youth 1100 20ga choked in skeet with a 21" barrel shoots the same pattern as my 870 20 ga choked in skeet with a 28" barrel. Just use the right choke for what you want to hunt at the right distance, you'll be fine. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby PnR_Productions » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I've got a 21" barrel on my 870 and i think that it's a perfect length. I like it because i don't get it caught on trees and brush while walking through the woods and plus it's super easy to move around with out having to have a Huge cleared out area. I just put a new remington pistil grip stock on it too and it makes it SOOO much easier to move around too, it helps me make left handed shots too.
I shot this Yote with it last season, only kill with the new stock so far(school took up to much time last year so i didn't get out much, and the big Gobblers didn't cooperate when i was out...)
Attachments
Max's coyote 2010 003.jpg
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
PnR_Productions
hunter

Postby keep_m_kupt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:51 pm

I shot a 28" barrel and a indian creek choke tube in my SBEII. these are my results:

kupt.
keep_m_kupt
hunter

Postby newbie2ducks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

barrel length is not just added for weight. It has a deffinate effect on pattern as well as on velocity just as length of arrow on a bow. More energy with more length, that is why they always do the stats of a bow using 31" draw and the lightest freaking arrow they can find. Now it may not be a huge difference but it is deffinately there.

Here is the way I think of it. If you really need a shorter barrel to not run into vines/branches/etc. then the crap you are hunting is really thick, thus making it not necessary to have a super long range barrel. Like previously stated you can get a real nice choke or even use a stock choke with nice ammo and you will be fine. hunting has become too much of a long range shot thing. I have a universal shotgun (winchester sx3 with 28" barrel and kicks choke) I use for turkey/duck/goose. I have patterned the gun to 60 yards and its unreal the pellets it will send out there. I know I could kill a bird every time to around 70 yards but why? The best part of the hunt is watching that gobbler or deer or whatever your hunting at 20-30 yrds in HIS environment and he dosnt even know you are there.

I will say what I tell all my friends wanting to learn to hunt.The most important thing is not the barrel length, the velocity, kenetic energy, etc, etc, etc. it is you the hunter/shooter being comfortable with your weapon. I would rather take a hunter with a 50$ shotgun who has patterned his ammo, shot plenty, takes care of his weapons, than take out someone who has a 1500$ shotgun that thinks it can do anything because they have seen it on tv. Find a gun you are comfortable with, pattern it, practice with it, and dont worry about anything else. They turkey dosnt care what you are shooting when hes strutting towards you.
newbie2ducks
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 am

Barrel length is negligible in both pattern and especially velocity. I patterned different barrels, chokes and guns with different loads a few years back and came up with some surprising results. Mossberg 500 with a 22inch turkey barrel and an undertaker choke patterned better than its 26in or 28 in with same choke. This gun was also better than my BPS with a variety of turkey chokes. I also found that remington duplex 4x6 17/8 ounce loads were the best patterning for this gun. This gun has an effective turkey pattern out to 65 yards. Not that I shoot that far but a man has got to know his limitations. What I am saying is until you spend the time and pattern your gun with different shells and chokes, you just don't know. One combo that I had actually used before I did my testing patterned absolutely horribly. I couldn't even see how I had killed turkeys that way! If I were buying a gun for more than just turkey hunting I would still look at a longer barrel. Also, short barrels are much easier to manuever around when actually set up, brush, trees, etc. But, they are also harder to aim with a shorter sight plane. Good Luck and start patterning
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum