Minnesota fall turkey 2010 pics

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Minnesota fall turkey 2010 pics

Postby cnggack » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Season opened Oct 2 and Thursday was the first day I took off as I had finally found a flock of birds.
I sat 45 minutes and the flock started coming to my calling first the hen then a jake from this years batch went into strut and I put an arrow into it dropping after a 20 yrd run .

cnggack
hunter

Re: Minnesota fall turkey 2010 pics

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:10 am

Congrats on your success! Quick question for those more experienced than me in fall turkey. I went on my first fall Nebraska hunt earlier this month. We had great success. Two of mature (10" beard and 8" beards with 3/4" spurs) toms had short feathers in the middle of their fan just like the bird in this picture. Weird to me but I'm sure very natural. It looked like the feathers had been plucked and where growing back in.

I know that jakes have longer feathers in the middle of their fan. Could it be that they are kinda like "wisdom teeth" for turkey? The long middle feathers fall out after their first year and the regular feathers replace them? Anyone know the cause?
Attachments
Neb Oct 2010.JPG
Neb Oct 2010 double
Neb Oct 2010.JPG (63.69 KiB) Viewed 614 times
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Re: Minnesota fall turkey 2010 pics

Postby gtismasher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 pm

very nice bird there
It doesn't matter how many duck I shoot anymore. It only matters how many ducks my pup brings back to me.
gtismasher
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum