Banded Turkeys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Banded Turkeys

Postby jpostx3 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 am

Has anybody ever killed a banded turkey on here?
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Re: Banded Turkeys

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 am

I've never heard of them banding turkeys. I have heard of them putting radio transmitters on their wings but never bands.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Paddydog1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:49 pm

We have some with radio collars on. Saw a couple last year. It's like a harness with an antenna sticking up. Man that would look cool on the wall...
Paddydog1
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 am

never killed one, but i know that they do get banded. not nearly as much as ducks though. frankly, i don't know why they really even band them though. they are not migratory birds like ducks are.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby woodbirdwarrior » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 pm

yea they came in here and banded a good many in the bottom that we hunt in a few years back. we've killed a few it's pretty neat I guess but like they said it's not like they migrate so it's not that great of a trophey. My uncle did kill a ole tom last year that was double banded from two different studies...bird was 5+ years old
Flat bills and tapout shirts...there's a time and a place for that...the time is never...you figure out the place
woodbirdwarrior
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:05 am

woodbirdwarrior wrote:yea they came in here and banded a good many in the bottom that we hunt in a few years back. we've killed a few it's pretty neat I guess but like they said it's not like they migrate so it's not that great of a trophey. My uncle did kill a ole tom last year that was double banded from two different studies...bird was 5+ years old

So how is that not a trophy? I think a turkey is much harder to kill especially an old Tom than any duck or goose. I'm fairly new to waterfowl hunting, but there just seems to be more birds to kill than a turkey with sharp ears and eyes. I think that's a true trophy and it would be interesting to see how far one would travel. I see them on mounts taxidermists have on displays in all the stores around here that's why I ask. Ther is a coyote pen outside a town close to home here for guys to train their dogs in. Well, they'd put ear tags in all their coyotes. Coyotes hunters killed one that year that got out that was a good 40 miles away. That was 8 years ago and the prices were junk so they gave me the coyotes they killed. I've just always thought how neat that was and would have mounted it had I killed it just for the story. Oh, and I had no problem selling it!
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:37 am

My buddy killed a hen in PA last fall that had a $100 band on its leg and a gps back pack. Its the first one that I have herd of in my general area.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby woodbirdwarrior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 pm

jpostx3 wrote:Coyotes hunters killed one that year that got out that was a good 40 miles away!

Wow that's crazy I had no idea that they traveled that far! Another pretty interesting thing: I know a retired state biologist who once told me that in one of their studies they had one old tom that was 9+ years old!!! Can you imagine that? That had to be one smart son of a gun!
Flat bills and tapout shirts...there's a time and a place for that...the time is never...you figure out the place
woodbirdwarrior
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:12 am

woodbirdwarrior wrote:
jpostx3 wrote:Coyotes hunters killed one that year that got out that was a good 40 miles away!

Wow that's crazy I had no idea that they traveled that far! Another pretty interesting thing: I know a retired state biologist who once told me that in one of their studies they had one old tom that was 9+ years old!!! Can you imagine that? That had to be one smart son of a gun!

I wonder how long the spurs would have been? I mean really though, if they didn't get broken off or anything. I wouldn't have ever thought that they travled that far either. I think all of that stuff is pretty interresting. That's my favorite thing when it comes to waterfowl bands, seeing where and how far they came from. Even though I have yet to get one. :mad:
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm

My buddy killed a hen in PA last fall that had a $100 band on its leg and a gps back pack. Its the first one that I have herd of in my general area.

Pretty cool cant shoot hens in SC. and only a spring season no fall :crying:
klee7013
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 pm

klee7013 wrote:

Pretty cool cant shoot hens in SC. and only a spring season no fall :crying:

Not even bearded hens??
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:56 am

Some state regulations say "bearded turkey' and some say "male turkey" different in a lot of states. most fall season states are either sex.

I killed a banded Merriam's with a transmitter in South Dakota that was 14 miles from where he was last tracked two days before and also a banded Eastern in Tennessee that had been relocated. They are doing a lot of studies on them in a lot of locations. Have seen several wing-tagged Gould's in Mexico where we hunt them but didn't shoot any as they were all hens, legal but of no interest to me.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum