Black Cloud for Turkeys???

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Black Cloud for Turkeys???

Postby FunkyT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Black Cloud FS, 3 1/2" number 4's, 12 Gauge with a Carlsons Full Choke. Is this good, bad or ugly for turkey season. I just cant see why it would not devour a turkeys head just as it does waterfowl.

Should I just get a turkey choke and actual "turkey" loads???

Thoughts?
FunkyT
hunter

Re: Black Cloud for Turkeys???

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am

Personally I wouldn't mess with steel/mix for turkeys/ For turkeys you want dense patterns with shot that retains enough energy to penetrate the head and neck. This means the traditional full choke/30 in circle is not tight enough. Your pattern needs to concentrate into a 12-15 inch circle to kill consitently. That doesn't mean all your pellets, but picture a walnut with a pencil coming out. That is your kill zone. I think a lead or heavi-shot shell and an appropriate turkey choke will give your best results. Now, which shells and choke, ask your gun. You will have to try different shells and chokes. My best gun is a mossberg 500 22inch turkey barrel with and undertaker choke, Shooting remington 4x6 duplex. I have an effective target to 65 yards. I wouldn't shoot a turkey that far but if I miss I know its not the guns fault. I also looked at some heavyweight 4's I have for waterfowl but they only have 11/4 ounce of shot. It will be hard to get dense enough patterns with that light of a payload. Just my opinion, good luck
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 am

Additionally, There is no reason a BC shouldn't kill aturkey out to forty yards if you can get a pattern. If you have all of this stuff already draw you a target and fire away, see what it looks like. I am just really mad at turkeys and like to watch them explode!! I don't know which gun you shoot but smaller payloads for ex 17/8 oz vs 20z usually pattern a little better.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Rather use Heavy 13 #6's. :yes: :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby FunkyT » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I dont want to spend the money on a Turkey choke and Turkey Loads if I really dont have to.
I have an American Arms O/U Waterfowl Special 12 Gauge that I will pattern the BCFS out of once I get it back from being hydroprinted. If the patterns is terrible at 40 yards I will reconsider the choke and shells. I just want to avoid buying a box of shells and a choke that I may only use for one season a year. I just figured some of the experts on here could provide a better explanation of why I NEED to get the choke and loads. That also makes it easier to explain to the wife that I NEED it. :biggrin:
FunkyT
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 am

. That also makes it easier to explain to the wife that I NEED it. :biggrin:[/quote]
If thats the deal then i think you need a whole new gun, shells, chokes, and patterning boards. But you can only use these things if you get a new truck also!! :grooving:
All turkeys must die!

Cujo1
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:42 am

I understand not wanting to fork out the cash and all, but how pi$$ed are you gonna be when that turkey flies off after you take a few pops at him. IMO you can get about as good of a combo that you would need for right around 50 bucks. Get some hevi 13's for about 20 bucks, there is a rebate for them now so it will actually end up costing you 15 bucks, and you can find some great turkey chokes in the 30 to 50 dollar range. Just my opinion, you are not gonna get any kind of turkey killing pattern out of those BC's trust me.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby FunkyT » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Cujo1 wrote:. But you can only use these things if you get a new truck also!! :grooving:

Lol good point. I actually got the truck in October along with a leveling kit and Wheels and Nitto Trail Grapplers. :D

I will get out and pattern this load. I think you guys have convinced me to get the Hevi's and a new choke already though.
FunkyT
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 am

I have killed a gobbler and a mature doe with Black Cloud 4's.
Not the load of choice for either, but it did the trick in those cases.
tucker301
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree with the guys here. The most expensive shell is the one that doesn't bring your bird down. It's not a ton of money for a good turkey load considering you are only (hopefully) firing one shot per bird. I killed 9 gobblers last year and used exactly 9 shells.

I love the Hevi-shot but also had really good luck with Federal with the Flite Control wad. It throws an awesome pattern and is about half the cost of Hevi-shot. :thumbsup:

Good luck!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:10 am

Blackcloud will drop a turkey just as quick as any top of the line ammo,the real deal is knowing your shotgun,patterning,and estimating distance,and shot placement,any load will kill the turkey,out of any shotgun,if the bird is within range ,if you know the gun,and how it patterns shooting the ammo you choose! I dropped a turkey using #6 shot out of a 410 when I was about 13 years old,he was 11 yards away from me,...simple..,shot placement! Take the gun and ammo and put them on paper,this should be done as a general rule anyway before you take your gun out to hunt any game! Or if you change brands of ammo!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 am

the only thing black cloud is good for is blowing up guns and filling up trash cans :thumbsup:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum