Duck Hunting Forum banner

Dave Smith Decoys

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Super Dave 32 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried his turkey decoys? They look so real! My buddy got one for Christmas and sent me a pic of it. I then went on the website and couldn't believe my eyes they seem so realistic especially the new strutting Tom they are comming out with. They are just crazy expensive. Didn't know if anybody has used them and the pros buy mainly cons of them to justify the price. The new sink avian x hens look real good in the pictures also, but they are $40 cheaper. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I say cant go wrong with either one, just that one you have to blow a little bit to get it fully functional. But that new DSD full strutt is amazing, makes me want to go turkey hunting for the first time. Too bad dave didnt include all the parts because its basically a $300 decoy. Imagine how two full strutts would look like in a line towards your hen. Dont know if it works, but that would be my spread.

#5 ·
Check out the Zink Avian X decoys, they're very realistic. You can also buy the Zink LIfeline 360 motion system, your decoy will come to life. The best advice I have for you is to practice your calling and scout the birds. If you know the birds patterns you have increased you chance to bag one. Also get an instructional DVD or CD that will give you pointers Zink offers Turkey Time 1 this covers mouth calls and Turkey Time 2 covers friction calls (www.zinkcalls.com). Good luck.

#6 ·
this is the picture i tried posting before that my buddy took last year. the gobbler is standing on his DSD

#8 ·
I've hunted over the DS turkey decoys since they first came out, and will say it's the ONLY decoy I'll hunt over. I currently have the breeding pair and 1 upright hen in the A.C.E material and think they are by far the best decoy on the market next to a Stuffer. I have used the $12 foam decoys in the past and can tell you first hand that a wise old tom definetly knows the defference between a half deformed foam decoy that's been rolled up in my back pack and a DSD. When you drive almost 400 miles one way to go kill a tom like I do, and with desiel at $4+ a gallon a $130 decoy that will last me a life time is pretty mute. Just my .02

Attachments

#9 ·
That last picture pretty much sums up any arguements, doesn't it? I hunted over them with an outfitter two years ago and they are great. Had a tom peck a hole in one of the hen's head. Also had a hen come in earlier and strut around the two DSD hen decoys. First time I ever saw a hen blow up like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.