New to Turkey hunting....

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

New to Turkey hunting....

Postby justinmi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi there-

I have some questions pertaining to hunting the ol dirty bird. I've never hunted turkeys before and this April my pop n law is letting me hunt some Rio's in the hill country of Texas on his lease. I bought a box call, will that be sufficient? I bought a hevi shot turkey tube for my BPS and some 3.5" hevi-13 #6, this should do the job under 45 yards surely? Should I buy a turkey decoy? When I was dove hunting in September I saw a pack of them, must of came 15 yards from me seemed kinda dumb. Are they not as smart eastern turkeys? If anyone can give me some tips on hunting Rio's I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Justin
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Re: New to Turkey hunting....

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Get the decoy, practive your calling, wear good camo, sit still and good luck!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Scout as much as you can, what do they do, where do they go, what do they eat, are they breeding, strutting, searching for hens, etc. Know the ground you hunt on, how to get around quietly without being seen, Woodsmanship is the single most important factor to all hunting IMO, practice calling with sounds similar to those birds, don't quit, hunt all day if you can, you never knoq when that next call will bring one running :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby drifter360 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Back up the box call with a diaphram call, that way there is no movement for the gobbler to see when your trying to coax him those last few yards. Definitly use a decoy or two. If other hunters are using the same area, just make sure not to set them to close to you.

Good Luck
duckkillerclyde wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else always want to poke puppies in the belly?
drifter360
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:34 am

The mouth call can come later. You just need to work with that box call until you can do it right every time. Don't over call! Biggest rookie mistake I see is calling incessantly, that's not what real turks do. Go to you tube and watch videos on turkey calling.

Put those decoys out in an area where they can be seen from a distance, and make sure YOU are well hidden. That means in the shade...

ALSO...be careful! A lot of people get shot turkey hunting...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby justinmi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the replies, already practicing with the call, gonna get the dek, and I got all the camo so I should be good to roll by the time I go at the end of April. Won't have to worry bout getting shot, will be the only hunter in the area. My father n law actually shot one last week and said he has been seeing an azz load of them. Although I think he shoots them from his deerstand when their under his feeder, personally I want to hunt em from the ground and make it somewhat of a challenge and call em out. Anyhow I will let yall know how it goes. Thanks
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Primos makes a pot call that straps to your leg,it is called the freak,comes in frictionite,or crystal,I have both,this allows you to drop one hand to your thigh to work the call with little movement,while you steady your shotgun with the other hand resting on your knees,or limb from brush blind,then when the bird is coming within range drop the striker and slowly ease your hand back to the shotgun,use the box call to fire up the tom,mouth calls are thee hardest call to use properly,wait before trying to hunt using one of those,stick with box call and pot calls,when not hunting practice with mouth calls! And the youtube thing,that is all good if it is not competition calling you are watching,no turkey in its right mind would come in to that type of calling! Too loud and way too aggressive! Good luck,hope this helps!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5