Best way to protect pop up blind from cattle?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Best way to protect pop up blind from cattle?

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 am

I have access to some property that has tons of turkey. The rancher runs about 20 head of cattle and they roam the entire place. As you all know, they are very curious and can destroy about anything. The problem is that I would like to put out a pop up blind for my daughter and I to use on opening morning of youth season. I'm worried that the cattle will wreck it overnight.

What is the best way to protect the pop up blind?

Two options:
1. Is there something that I could put up the evening before the hunt to protect the blind overnight?
2. I could leave the blind there for the season (it's a really good spot!) but would need to be sure that it keeps the cattle off the blind. I would be sick if they tore up a $250 blind.

Thanks for your suggestions!

DAVE
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Re: Best way to protect pop up blind from cattle?

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Cows can be detrimental to the sport. You can take in 4 fence posts and string barbed wire around your blind. That should keep them away. Don't use a flashlight in the dark going to the blind to hunt in the morning, the stupid cows will follow you and stand their and look at you all day!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks Cujo. Agree to the detriment part.

These cattle are more shy and actually run from the truck but they have licked all the trail cams. I have about 150 pictures of various cow parts -- butts, shoulders, eyes, foreheads and several nose shots.

How many strands of wire do you think? Do you think a couple of strands zip-tied to the posts would work? Two strands would leave some nice space to shoot through
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:03 pm

I'd go with two strands, strung nice and tight and you shouldn't have any trouble. I assume the cattle are fenced in anyway if they are used to fence they won't have to learn about it. I bet those pics are cool!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:31 pm

For anyone interested, I ended up practicing setting up the blind a couple of times at night with only my red headlamp. Everything went like clockwork on Saturday morning. Got the blind set up in less than 5 minutes. Perfect!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby allnighter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Paint it red. :lol3: I couldnt help it.
allnighter
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Bring out a bag of dog crap,fresher the better,spread it out around your blind that will keep the cows away! Works for me! :yes:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5