Thunder Chickens in Thunder??

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Thunder Chickens in Thunder??

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey all, 4th season turkey hunter wondering about weather conditions for Turkey's.. Over the last three years, I have been lucky with weather conditions... Calm winds, warm, sunny... (Rain one day)... This season, storms and rain is in the forecast throughout the season. I know birds will be more quiet in these conditions, however, what affect does Thunder have on them? I was told by a knowledgable turkey hunter that, "If you aint wet, you aint killin turkeys". Any feedback would be great
Thanks, Illinois-Ducker
I am dedicating this year to waterfowl and waterfowl only....
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Re: Thunder Chickens in Thunder??

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:09 pm

Thunderstorms and myself get along very well during turkey season. A lot of times turkeys will gobble at every clap of thunder, which lets you know they are still there. They will still work in the rain, but usually better during the lulls in the rain. Use a waterproof call, mouth call or keep your box call in a bread bag. Whoever tells you you ain't killing turkeys unless you are right is absolutely correct. Turkeys will generally head to fields during rain so make sure you are there. Also if you sit in the truck for the rain to stop and then head to the field, they will probably beat you. Rain gear or a good ponch will make the day friendlier. If you have apop up blind then that would be good to, I just don't use them. I always say about any type of hunting is,"animals don't go to a motel during bad weather, they are still out there!" By the way I have first season which starts tomorrow, I will be wet! And I am going to kill a turkey!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Well thanks for the info! I had first season last year in southern zone, Saline County... Four of us shot 2 birds.. One jake, one YOUNG gobbler(not the usual jake fan and longer beard) as I would describe it. A friend and I are heading down your way Thursday morning and scouting til our season starts on sat.. Best of Luck! Let me know if you smash one!
Thanks,
Allan
I am dedicating this year to waterfowl and waterfowl only....
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 am

I killed a really nice tom in a pretty steady downpour last year. I spotted him and couple of hens in the field and got in front of them. I sat down for about 40 minutes before he came in as quiet as a mouse. He never gobbled once. Don't know if it was the rain or what. Don't let weather keep you out of the field. I hate high wind worse than rain.
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 am

Illinois-Ducker wrote:Well thanks for the info! I had first season last year in southern zone, Saline County... Four of us shot 2 birds.. One jake, one YOUNG gobbler(not the usual jake fan and longer beard) as I would describe it. A friend and I are heading down your way Thursday morning and scouting til our season starts on sat.. Best of Luck! Let me know if you smash one!
Thanks,
Allan

Called in hens and jakes monday in the monsoon, Toms stood in the middle of a field. Killed a Tom this morning around 7:00. The jake strut decoy was just more than the feller could stand.
turkey.jpg
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:35 pm

A little moisture will let you sneak around more and move towards the bird. Obviously you're not going to gobble one up in a frog-floater, but some thunder (as previously mentioned) will make 'em shock gobble.

Best case scenario ... you get horrible rains, maybe some hail and wind, and weather over night that clears by morning leaving everything cool and wet. After a night like that, the turks are always ready to get frisky.

Ice cream conditions I find actually make for difficult hunting. It's kind of like chasing specs on the coast, stable weather conditions concentrate fish (or turkeys in this case) ... changing weather will scatter them a bit. Obviously with this analogy it's better to have scattered birds looking for a group of hens than birds that have been sitting in the same roost trees 50 yards from the hens for a month. This weather SUX for fishing by the way.
Pouledeau
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum