124 or more!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

124 or more!

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 am

124 and counting. That's the number of birds I counted yesterday in the field we hunt. There were 17 toms, 7 of which have paintbrushes for beards. The rest look like those eager two year old birds. Saturday starts my Son's last youth hunt, so I'm pretty excited, and also saddened to think this is our last youth hunt together. Time to find some other lucky up and comer to mentor until my 8 year old Daughter can hunt in 2 years. Only 2 weeks ago, we counted over 170 birds, so I think the winter flock is starting to break up a bit. Hopefully My Son gets another crack at that wad of toms. Doesn't look like I need to decoy or call either, because they're there like clockwork every day, so we'll just set up the blind, and sit and be patient.......easier for an adult, but a lot harder for a kid!

I will post pictures if and when he scores!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Re: 124 or more!

Postby jpostx3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 am

I'm ready to see those pictures!!
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 am

Yesterday I counted 153, and 21 of which were toms. I hope to posts pictures saturday morning!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 am

Good luck, Pete. Hope you get a good one.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks Pat! Will post pictures of course.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Well I thought it would be a cakewalk, but it turned out to be some hours in the blind to make this happen. Hunted all but one hour on Saturday with lots of action, but closest bird at 55 yards. Saturday evening we had 12 gobblers and many hens in full strut just outside of shooting distance for several hours. Sunday morning same deal lots of birds, but hated the decoys due to the birds still being in their winter flock, I'm guessing? Set up the blind between two trails where they come across a fence line, left the decoys in the blind, and split the difference between the right and left trail. They came to My Son's right, which was not the best position for a right handed shooter, so I adjusted my chair, and had him sit on my lap to get the gun through the blind.

Not big on numbers, because those are just things we (in particular) just measure after the bird is on the ground. We just want a mature bird, and two year olds are fine by me! The bird had 1 inch spurs, 23 pounds, and 11 inch beard (probably a three year old). Numbers aside, you still have to know what it had for gear. :lol3:
Attachments
BILD0033.JPG
BILD0029.JPG
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Aint nothin wrong with that!...Great bird...Congrats!
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 pm

:thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum