Hogs!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Hogs!

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 pm

There is a place right in the middle of my hunting lease that has wild hogs. I got within about 30 yards of those buggers yesterday. What I found out is that turkey loads do NOTHING except make hogs squeal.

I don't want to carry a rifle while I'm chasing turkey -- and I don't think the game warden would understand anyway.

Is there anything that can be safely shot through a turkey choke (I have a Benelli SBE 2) that will kill a pig? Would it hurt the gun if I carried a 3 or 4 shells of buckshot with me and screwed the turkey choke out? I don't know about shooting a shotgun with the choke out.

Thoughts?
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Re: Hogs!

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Don't shoot without a choke. Typically buckshot is shot through a improved or cylinder choke. Can you legally carry another shotgun set up for slugs or buckshot? I would turkey hunt while I could and hog hunt later.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby tmorelli » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Funny, I killed my first 2 hogs ever on Saturday. They fell to the 10 ga with 3.5" #5 lead shot.

I flushed them out of some brush like rabbits and got 2 of the 3! I shot 3 times, the first was a clean miss behind the first one, the second was direct to the head at about 10 yards quartering away and the 3rd was direct to the head broadside at about 15 yards. It wasn't instant death but it was instant demobilization with only a few gasps and kicks before they expired.
tmorelli
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks. I have talked to several friends who have warned me about shooting without a choke. I'm sticking with turkey for now and coming back in May for those smelly, destructive buggers!

We're going back this weekend. I only have one turkey left on my Oklahoma limit. If I nab it early, I may spend the afternoon sitting on the hogs wallow and see what happens with my bow........ Been a while since I stuck a pig with stick and string!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 am

how fare in OK do you have to go to kill hogs?
cONG
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 am

Why wouldnt you have a .44 mag strapped on? That would do the trick
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 am

TomKat wrote:Why wouldnt you have a .44 mag strapped on? That would do the trick

+1 all though I wouldn't go much smaller than that. My best friend shot one 4 times with OO buck and I it continued after him for about 20 yards finally dropped dead at his feet I guess you hit them perfect with the #5
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby Bgold » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 am

can you carry a revolver?

edit: beat me to it
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum